“Good, not great...Used to be great” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #333 of 895 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Charleston, South Carolina
“Good, not great...Used to be great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

There has been a strange history in this restaurant... It seems to be on the tired side of good now...though they are about to open a second one in North Charleston. Used to be terrific Chinese food. This time, i asked about two things that used to be on the menu and no longer appear: Peking Duck and Fried beef with walnuts... They were willing to make them even tho they werent on the regular menu ( which was nice of them). I ordered the duck and the waiter brought the "fixings" to the table and made up the pancakes... Tho most of it was good and fresh looking, the duck was very dry and obviously had been pre cooked and re heated.. Won't do that again. Shame... Used to be terrific. Will be back cause they do have some other things i would ike to re try, but not the same place it once was.

• Visited March 2012

Charleston
“Best sushi in Charleston!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

I live not far from this place and go there as much as I can. Osaka might not get alot of attention because of all the other sushi places in Charleston, but one visit and you will be hooked. There are a few things I always get such as the philly roll, spider roll and the honeymoon special which is chopped scallop mixed with a srrachia mayo and topped with smelt roe. The other things I get are the conch, BBQ eel and surf clam nigiri, always delicious! A roll with fried calamari and asparagus is one of my favorites along with a grilled scallop roll (Not the real name) They always have special rolls on the board and they are worth trying. I've been here sooooo many times, I didn't think about writing a review, but after my last trip, I made it my job to get the word out there on this place. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited January 2012
Santa Monica, California
“Delicious sushi!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

Bought a great deal of sushi for Christmas and it was all delicious!

Visited December 2011
Charleston, South Carolina
“Great food minus Food Poisoning”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2011

I've been here twice. The first time the service was slow, and the food was only alright. I had expected more. We ordered To Go one day, and myself and another co-worker order the Miso Soup. It was nice and warm, but after I started eating it I started to feel sick and stopped. My coworker ate all of the soup. She found that she was poisoned by salmonella after visiting the doctor. Definite brought this restaurant down a few notches. I may go back after a long while, but I hope by then they've implemented better food handling procedures.

• Visited June 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Charleston, SC
“The Asian choices in this town get smaller, smaller”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

I hate to say it but, what once was one of our very favorite old reliables, has slipped in both kitchen quality and service. Right now, it has two good things going for it - it's in our neighborhood (close by) and a relaxed, quiet atmosphere. The food is hanging in there, but not with the old fireworks. And the staff, still friendly and welcoming, seem to be getting a little fatigued. Aside from Red Orchids, can anyone recommend any other decent Chinese in this town? I would still recommend this to a friend, but we are definitely on the hunt.