“Best Guest Place!!”

Ranked #470 of 946 Restaurants in Charleston
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Live on James Island and this is where we take every visitor for local, great, consistantly good food...and dessert!!

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Pecan encrusted Chicken....any kind of chicken.....the specials ARE special....we love this place and I always order some kind of chicken of fish dish!

Reviewed August 15, 2012

We visited Mustard Seed (Maybank Rd.) for lunch while en route to Charleston for a day trip during our vacation. We stumbled upon it while unsuccessfully attempting to locate another restaurant in the same area using our GPS. We were pleased with Mustard Seed. Warning - the focaccia bread they serve with your meal is very good - the freshest and best focaccia bread I've ever had - but if you are not careful, you can overdose on it and have no room left for your entree. My salad was very good and even the kids meal chicken was excellent.

1  Thank David B
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The Mustard Seed has a great reputation in Charleston but my visit was less then great - maybe average. The first thing that hit me was the chalk board presented with the specials. The dinner specials averaged $20 each, a pretty high price for food on James Island. So my wife and I checked the menu - more reasonable at $12 a plate. When I ordered my pasta I asked what came with it... nothing. OK, then I'll order a house salad. I asked for blue cheese and ranch dressing on the side. I guess blue cheese and ranch were too plan. No ranch so we tried a nice ginger vinaigrette. The salad arrived with crumbled blue cheese not dressing, the vinaigrette and a long dark hair. I ate my half but my wife declined her half and we paid $7 for a salad that looked fancy but wasn't. Next the meals arrived. There were good but not the "wow" I expected from the Mustard Seed. The paper napkin was a real turn off. I hate paper napkins in a nice restaurant that serves expensive meals. And I really don't like eating on a non covered dining table. A table clothe would be nice. The Mustard Seed is trying to sell campaign meals in a beer hall diner. As we left we noticed that on a Saturday night the restaurant was less then half full. Maybe management should take a hard look around. On the plus side there was plenty of parking. Maybe that was because my neighbors were eating else where.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

On my third visit to this restaurant on the Maybank Highway next to the Terrace Theater, I met a friend for a reunion. I had never had a bad dish here, so I ordered their version of Pad Thai. Well, it was not even close. They used linguini, a total of 5 bean sprouts as a garnish, and way more sauce than was appropriate, and maybe a teaspoon of chopped peanuts. The seasoning was off, the whole mess was a slimy gruel. I guess those of us who've lived in the Far East for several years (4 tours) should remember not to expect authentic Asian cuisine too far from its origin. My buddy didn't like hers, either, and she ordered a local favorite. She said the crab cakes with salad were bland. Now that's just an abomination! In Charleston, one won't be selling food long if you compromise the local favorites. Too bad.