“Great food”

Nirlep Indian Restaurant
Ranked #362 of 898 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Lunch hours : 11:30 a.m to 3:00 p.m Dinner hours: 5:00 p.m to 10:00 p.m
Summerville, SC
“Great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2011

Good food, great service. I can't wait to try the lunch buffet so I can sample some more examples of Indian cuisine.

Beaufort, South Carolina
“Ok place to eat.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

I've enjoyed Indian cuisine around the globe, and I've had some amazing dishes. Some of the best that I have had has been overseas. More often than not, I will seek out the hole in the wall places as the food often seems better in these places, so the lack of polish at Nirlep did not bother me.
The service was Ok. The owners walked around the room often and spoke to us several times. They were not unfriendly, rather they seemed quiet and reserved. This does not really bother me because I don't feel the need to be pampered.
I don't want to be too rough on the food, it was good, just not that good. Maybe I have been spoiled to the really spicy and flavorful food I've enjoyed in other countries, even here in the States. The food seemed bland. The Vindaloo was thicker than I'm used to and was heavy on the tomatoes. The label said the Vindaloo was spicy, but was mild by my tastes. I sampled everything on the buffet and nothing really stood out above anything else.
I would probably return at a later date, after exploring other Indian restaurants in the area, just to give it another shot.

• Visited September 2011
Jackson, Mississippi
“Excellent Indian Cuisine with Friendly Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2011

We had dinner this evening at Nirlep in Charleston, SC. We arrived at 8 pm and were greeted with a very friendly host who seated us in a booth by a window. Nice and bright, clean and comfortable. Nothing fancy. We ordered Taj Mahal and Flying Horse beers, which were promptly delivered cold with cold monogrammed glasses. Pappadum were brought to the table and the were three excellent chutneys on the table to enjoy with them. The host took our order, and was very informative about the menu, offered suggestions in response to our questions, and suggested appetizers and a bread selection.

The combination appetizer was excellent for four people, with shrimp, samosas, and a few other things I had not had before. We had Chicken Tikka Masala, Lamb Rogan Josh, Lamb with Eggplant and Peas and Tandoori Chicken. It was all excellent! We ordered medium heat, which was very good, but still quite spicy and hot. The Lamb Rogan Josh was unbelieveable! Tender amd perfectly cooked. Lovely sauce. We enjoyed all with a fluffy basmati rice, raitha (yogurt, cucumber and mint which helps cut the heat) and a wonderful selection of naan and paratha in the bread basket selection. We ended the meal with a great cup of Chai. It was a perfect, simple but elegant Indian meal.

I am not sure what happened to one of the earlier reviewers, and I would encourage him to give it another try. As we were leaving, tables of Indian diners arrived. I think they knew something we had just learned, that an excellent Indian meal, properly served in a nice atmosphere can be had at Nirlep. I can recommend it to you without hesitation or qualification. Also, the prices are very reasonable, especially considering the quality of what was served.

We cook Indian food a lot, and I must say this rivals anything we've had.

FGT (Fried Green Tomatillos)

• Visited June 2011
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Visit to Nirlep- Charleston, SC Memorial day w/e”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

I am from India and everytime I visit a new city I make sure I try the local restaurants serving Indian cuisine. So this time when I went to Charleston, SC I looked for Indian restaurants on google and after reading some good reviews about Nirlep, decided to give it a shot. I am a vegetarian so hopefully this review will be helpful to everyone but others might also want to try the non veg varieties that Nirlep offers.

So lets start, when I reached there at 6.45p.m. the place wore a deserted look. Three people, one male and two females all Indian were quiet unwelcome, stared at us as if they were asking us why the hell did we come. We were seated by a fourth helper. The ambience is very overwhelming, not comfortable and the place looked soo old and stuffy.
The table was laid out ok, we were offered papad with chutney. The tray of condiments/chutney was soo messy, the chutneys were sticking to the spoons, it looked like they hadnt washed it for days and kept refilling it. We ordered aloo tikki in starter, dal makhni, paneer chilli and butter naan in main course. I also ordered sweet lassi which was ok. Alll this while, the guy who took our order didnt even smile at us or asked if we were doing ok. The aloo tikki was below average, no presentation, no taste just two tikkis placed on a white plate. We were hoping that main course would lift our spirits, but it turned out to be an unhealthy, stale serving. The way food was presented was soo messy, they didnt even bother to wipe the spots of dal from the serving bowls. Dal and paneer tasted old and seems had been reheated several times and served to us. The desert ras malai was disgusting, it was so bad that we just left it as it is, fearing it might make us sick. The people serving were so much full of attitude, failed to build any rapport and it was not that they were busy they didnt really bother period.

So everything at Nirlep was totally disappointing. No ambience, people are not nice, they make you feel as if they dont want you there.I could have overlooked all these things if food hadnt been pathetic...So for me its a thumbs down, I am not visting this place again for sure and dont recommend it to anyone.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank foodie_charlotte
Charleston, South Carolina
“I just keep coming back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2011

I have had Indian food around the world- Scotland, England, Philadelphia, PA, Charleston, SC, Savannah, GA, Charlotte, NC... this restaurant just blows me away every time. They have some of the most incredible gulab jamun, their chicken is always tender and their naan is doughy and crisped to perfection. The staff is incredibly friendly, the service is VERY prompt and I feel at home there! Definitely one of my favorite restaurants IN THE WORLD!

• Visited March 2011