“the nite to remember” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grill 225

Grill 225
Ranked #5 of 895 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: "Exprience the Difference in 42-50 day aged Prime Steaks."Welcome to Grill 225, Charleston's first and only 100% USDA Prime steak house, and member of the Great Steak Houses of North America. Located at the luxurious Market Pavilion Hotel in the heart of historic Charleston, we offer a dining experience like no other.
Charleston, South Carolina
“the nite to remember”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2010

it started as a instinct feeling to follow going into Grill 225 because of being a big fancy restaurant taster..i have tasted some of the best food in the world from the sky needle to cooking in Italy and walking into Grill 225 was a great start as the atmosphere blended well with the environment around you. The food was brilliantly cooked to a moderate perfection and the service was quite admirable and obsolete. I do recommend this restaurant for any occasion. The only bad thing i have to say about the place is the seats are a little bit on the uncomfortable side.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Grill 225, responded to this review, May 3, 2010
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I know the chef and the staff will appreciate your review. I am glad you enjoyed both the careful preparation as well as the ambience around you.
We will look forward to serving you again.
Thank you!

The South
“Grill 225 is now at the top of "one of my favorite restaurants" list!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2010

After reading some negative reviews about Grill 225, my husband & I decided to try it anyway. We were staying in the lovely Market Pavilion where the resturant is located & loved the atmosphere. We could not have been more pleased! We both enjoy fine dining & excellent cuisine & Grill 225 fit the bill. The cost was comparable to what you would expect to pay in a dining establishment of this calibar. My husband's steak was cooked to perfection & my lobster was delicious. Our servers were friendly, gracious & efficient. As we were seated, our server asked if this was a special occasion & we told him it was our anniversary. When we ordered our wonderful dessert (bread pudding) it came out with Happy Anniversary written in chocolate across the plate. I look forward to our next stay at Market Pavilion & another wonderful dining experience at Grill 225.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Grill 225, responded to this review, April 17, 2010
Thank you so much for your kind words! We are delighted that you enjoyed dinner and the service provided. Our team of professionals all work very hard to provide nothing but the finest in service, hospitality and of course, quality of the product served. I was also glad to read that you also enjoyed staying at the Market Pavilion Hotel as well.
We hope to have the opportunity of serving you again! Thanks again for sharing your special experience.
Happy Anniversary!!!
San Diego
“Poor First and Lasting Impression”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2010

What can you say about this overly-assuming and arrogant restaurant. Our first impression is of "bouncers" who are checking your attire and telling you to remove your hat before you even walk in the door (I assume that any gentleman knows this already!). But what is even more pretentious is when they told my girlfriend to remove her hat even when it is an accepted Southern Custom that women can wear hats that are of appropriate dress. Finally, the food is over-rated and overly priced. I would not go back to this pretentious and arrogant restaurant again. There are more friendly and better priced restaurants in Charleston!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank rodriguw
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Grill 225, responded to this review, March 25, 2010
Thank you for sharing your recent experience while dining at Grill 225. I am sorry you took offense to being asked to remove your hat. After 6:00pm we do indeed enforce a dress code. In order to preserve the environment, and out of respect for other guests we do ask gentlemen to remove their baseball caps before entering. Since opening the hotel, we have never asked a lady to remove her dress or fashion hat. However, I can tell you that if a male and female arrive after 6:00pm both wearing a baseball cap, we would not discriminate based on gender. Therefore, we would ask both guests to remove their baseball caps.
Grill 225 has become known to provide Charleston's premiere dining experience. To reach this level of expectation, we strive to not only provide the finest in service and quality, but also to ensure we are protecting the environment that our guests have come to expect. Finally, I am sorry you also did not enjoy your dining experience. Unfortunately, because details were not provided regarding your dining experience, we are at a disadvantage to properly respond. While you are certainly entitled to an opinion, most of our diners have felt it was one of their best experiences while in Charleston as illustrated by comments preceding yours.
Thank you again for your candor. We appreciate everyone's feedback.
Hilton Head
“Are you kidding”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2009

First there is no way you will pay between $ 31-$40 . Secondly, you best like salt and extreme amounts of it . Thirdly, Expect that the Arrougala in the salad to still have the stems attached. The sauteed spinach, again, will have the stems attached. If you like chewing on stems - enjoy. Forth, the mozzarella is the consistency of pudding.

They have the attitude that they are a five star restaurant, I'm noy sure they have every eaten in a five star place. Save you money as there are many better places to dine in Charleston.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jsmeltzer
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Grill 225, responded to this review, December 11, 2009
There is no doubt that everyone is entitled to their opinions and that each one of us have different tastes. There is no excuse however for rude behavior and to speak not only down to professional servers, just trying to do their job, but to drop words that cannot be used in this letter that were also disturbing to diners around you as well.
I am sorry that you found your meal not to your liking. After hearing loud and clear your complaints, we realized that there was no other way to appease you then to comp your entire meal, even though you seemed to enjoy all 3 courses, before very obviously letting us know your distaste at check presentation.
As you see from most of our reviews most people sincerely enjoy their experience and go as far as wishing they could duplicate this restaurant in the city where they live. I certainly respect your decision not to enjoy the experience but the manner that you expressed it was certainly not professional or warranted.
chicago
“Great Evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2009

After reading some of these reviews, I was a bit worried and hesitant about dining at Grill 225. Thankfully I went with my gut feeling and was pleasantly surprised. Our service was amazing, the food was wonderful and we couldn't have been treated nicer. I did not see that the server was "arrogant", just very polished and professional as it should be at such an upscale restaurant. It was a bit pricey but so are a lot of restaurants in this area and the food is not as good. It was my mom's birthday so we really splurged. Everything from appetizers to entrees to side courses and desserts were perfectly cooked, delicious and the presentation was lovely. This is a must if you are in the Charleston area. We would highly recommend.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Grill 225, responded to this review, November 19, 2009
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Grill 225. Our staff goes through very extensive training before we even allow them to attend to our customers. I am pleased that you noticed not only the level of service but the fact that the server was polished and professional.
We purchase only the finest products, and go beyond the norm and actually wet age our beef 40 to 50 days to ensure that you receive the best steak anywhere.
Thank you again for your comments and I hope our staff at Grill 225 has the pleasure of serving you again!