“Fabulous Thanksgiving Buffet”
Review of Grill 225

Grill 225
Reserve with OpenTable
Grill 225 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 916 Restaurants in Charleston
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: "Exprience the Difference in 42-50 day aged Prime Steaks."Welcome to Grill 225, Charleston's first and only 100% USDA Prime steak house, and member of the Great Steak Houses of North America. Located at the luxurious Market Pavilion Hotel in the heart of historic Charleston, we offer a dining experience like no other.
Charleston, South Carolina
“Fabulous Thanksgiving Buffet”
Reviewed November 24, 2011

We usually do not dine out for holidays. So, I researched Thanksgiving dinners and we opted for Grill 225. We were delighted with our choice. First, the choices were outstanding and everyone can find something they like. We loved the butternut squash bisque. This in fact was our favorite. My husband and niece tried the not so traditional fare such as sushi. They very much enjoyed everything they tried. The turkey was very moist. The stuffing was great. The gravy was better than my grandmother’s. The sides were fabulous. We loved the desserts. We tried at least ten of the twenty five or so. From the pecan pie to the carrot cake, each was as tasty as the next. We certainly enjoyed our experience and would highly recommend it to anyone. Thanks to all the chefs and staff who made our holiday very enjoyable. Our only suggestion would be to make turkey sandwiches to go!

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Islandtime1027
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Grill 225, responded to this review, November 25, 2011
Happy Thanksgiving; and thank you for chosing Grill 225 to help you celebrate the holiday. I am very glad you had such a wonderful experience. To say that the gravy was even better then your grandmother's is truly a compliment and I appreciate your kind assessment. All of the staff, servers and our kitchen team will be pleased to know just how much you enjoyed Thanksgiving at Grill 225.
Please do not wait for another holiday before returning. We look forward to serving you again.

Rhode Island
“Excellent For Lunch Meeting & Free Valet Parking”
Reviewed October 16, 2011

This restaurant was selected by our business associate. Four of us "dined" for lunch. Food and service were excellent as was the wine by the glass list. They were willing to make substitutions for our calorie conscious table mates. Classic dining room. Not very busy on a Monday.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank KirD
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Grill 225, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Thank you for sharing your recent lunch experience. We are probably one of Charleston's best kept lunch secrets. The menu is full and extremely competative. We are indeed very flexible and glad to assist anyone who may have special dietary needs. Thank you for your candor, we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.
Austin, Texas
“Pay with CASH...caveat emptor”
Reviewed October 15, 2011

We decided to try something different from our normal restaurant for our anniversary dinner this year so we made a reservation @ 225. We arrived early and had a glass of wine at the ground level hotel bar (too windy to enjoy the rooftop bar) served by a very smug bartender.

We were seated on time and greeted by a waiter AND his assistant. Our appetizer order of raw oysters and warmed goat cheese to accompany the bread annoyed the main waiter and things went downhill from there. Evidently it is improper to request warmed goat cheese with anything but Main Course @ 225.

Ordering Main Course turned out to be quite an ordeal but somehow we managed. They are proud of how they describe their food and where it comes from but do not tolerate questions very well.

Best thing about the meal was that it was properly cooked but that was tarnished by the waitstaff's arrogance.

Dessert was enjoyable and served by the formerly condescending main waiter who had suddenly become our best friend (close to tip time).

One week later I looked at my credit card statement and noticed that the charge from 225 was $20 more than my receipt showed. When I called to ask about this and request a $20 refund, the management acted like I was imposing on them.

The food and beverage manager said "we're all human and we make mistakes." If I had made the "human mistake" of leaving without paying for my meal I'm sure I would be facing criminal charges but somehow its OK for them to tack on an extra $20 or so to my credit card hoping I wouldn't notice.

No one @ 225 seemed to appreciate my business. I shall not impose on them again. There are plenty of other restaurants in Charleston that offer better value and actually appreciate my business.

2 Thank Joel M
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Grill 225, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Grill 225. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your meal. We do take our food quality very seriously and I am glad you enjoyed dinner.
I am very sorry that you felt your server to be arrogant. Fact is, that he is one of our best servers and one of the most knowledgeable that also carries a huge following of diners. I can understand how you might feel overwhelmed when explained where the food items came from and how they are prepared. Some people who are not around fine dining often do have a hard time really understanding the many nuances about a fine meal. It is unfortunate that the relationship just did not click.
I do know you also spoke to two of our managers regarding the $20.00 over payment. I am very sorry for the oversight. We certainly never intend to overcharge anyone. Unfortunately your call came in around 9:30 at night and the accounting department was closed so it was impossible to research the incident. I am aware you were told it would be handled first thing on Monday morning and indeed it was credited to you account as soon as possible on Monday.
Again, I am sorry the experience was not all you wanted it to be. I do thank you for your candor and hope we do have the chance to serve you again.
Charleston, South Carolina
“our opinion”
Reviewed October 14, 2011

My experience at Grill 225 took place on 13 October, 2011. My wife and I dine each month with several friends at various local venues. Typically we are a party of 8 to 10. Grill 225 has been a hard place for us to secure a table for such a group. Finally after months of trying we were able to get in and on very short notice. We enjoyed the valet service as none of the ladies in our group like walking in uneven and broken sidewalks of down town Charleston. The bar was a disappointment. Not that the drinks selection was bad, it is actually very good. The bartender however was just rude and well full him self. He acted as if he was the end all of knowledge with regards to drinks. I say publically as I told him. A martini is not defined by the glass. He believes any drink in a martini glass is a martini. That includes a jack and coke. When we discussed this he actually told me “get with it, it’s not the 70s anymore.” Sorry guy, for a bar that charges $22 for a cocktail, I suggest you go to bartending school or at least to charm school and learn how not to talk to the customer. This was one star subtracted from the possible 5. The service was exceptional but equal to the Cyprus or The Oak or even the Peninsula. The food was exceptional but no better than the Peninsula or The Oak. Our group agreed we prefer the Cyprus regarding variety and flavor. Overall our bill came to a little over $1000. Not too bad for a group of 8 but about $200 more than what we typically spend at any of three similar restaurants I mention in this review. (Minus one more star). Our final opinion: While a very nice place to eat either in a group or as a couple, I would a better value can be found elsewhere. Would we go back? Probably. However, we would avoid the bar and just order drinks from our table.

2 Thank neilmcmullen
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Grill 225 and the Grill Bar. I am sorry for the encounter with our bartender. We do try very hard to provide exceptional service and it seems in your case that did not occur. Rest assure I will discuss this incident with the staff.
I am please however, that you did enjoy dinner. We are the only steakhouse in Charleston serving 100% prime beef and it really does make a difference. I appreciate your candor and hope we will have the chance to serve you again. Thank you.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Truly the BEST restaurant in Charleston”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Exceptional service, food quality and atmosphere. The classiest place in town!!!!!!