“Pricey but worth it!”

FIG
Ranked #16 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hasell
“Pricey but worth it!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We came in without a reservation and decided to wait for the community table to open up. My boyfriend and I had a drink at the bar. They didn't have they type of liquor I wanted but offered to make me something that tasted like it. It was very close! We didn't have to wait long after we got out drinks. Our entrees were very good. My boyfriend had the steak which I would recommend over my zucchini wrapped grouper, which was still wonderful.

Visited July 2013

Chicago, Illinois
“not all that”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Not all that. We had a late seating...9pm. It took 15 minutes for our drink order and then 10 to get the drinks. We ordered and waited till 10:15 to get the appetizer. The menu is limited, I ordered the swordfish (normally I do not order swordfish because it is over fished) but then was told that they were out. The tartar appetizer was ok and so was the pate...not great. Food finally arrived at 10:45. I had the porgy....it was mediocre and my wife had grouper and it was equally mediocre (the grouper I had at Pearlz the night before was better, warmer, and $11 ). My son had the hanger steak and that was the best of the three. We left without dessert. At $30 a plate I would expect entrees to be more flavorful, warmer, more interesting and more quickly served. I've been disappointed before with overly fauned after restaurants and chefs. I read the reviews for this place, but I just think the emperor really has no clothes. Don't go for the food, it does seem like a little bit of a scene, so if you want that enjoy. Oh, PS. the tartar gave me some horrific Montezuma's revenge the next day.

3 Thank tnm1234
Charleston SC
“One of the Best in Charleston”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

FIG is Mike Lata's signature restaurant (His other place, The Ordinary, is worth trying too). The menu changes almost every week, and just about always hits a home run. Our recent visit was no exception, although as with any great place that takes chances, once in a while you might hit a foul ball. On this particular night the razor clam appetizer was a miss--razors aren't indigenous to the Charleston area and these were flown in from Maine. The Civeche-like preparation was flavorful but totally overwhelmed the clams so much you couldn't tell they were in the dish at all.
So much for the negatives. The rest of the night was fabulous as always. You will never get a poorly prepared, ill-conceived, or boring dish here. The brined chicken cooked "in brick" was the best chicken I've ever had bar none. The soft shell crab was fabulous (assuming you feel, as I do, that butter is one of the basic food groups).
Overall the experience, the food, and the service at Fig are worth every penny and when you are in Charleston try to get a table. But bring your own clams.

“Yummy Fig”
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had read rave reviews about Fig. We couldn't get a reservation but were told we could either sit at a community table or at the bar and have access to the same menu. Lo and behold, while waiting for one of those spots, a table for two opened up. How spot on all of the outstanding reviews were about Fig! All courses were a foodie's dream, but two items stand out the most: the ricotta gnocchi in beef tomato sauce and the delightful warm sorghum cake. Everything was to die for!! The wait staff were fabulous too, giving us expert tips about wine pairings and recommending stellar items without shellfish or pork.
Our experience at Fig couldn't have been better! HMG

1 Thank HMG1952
Epsom, United Kingdom
“Exceptional”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

The menu choices here are so exciting, using quality local produce. Actually the menu descriptions do not give the full story. The menu changes slightly each day. You need to ask the waitress (in our case Morgan) to describe how the food has been prepared - you will be so impressed with the invention of the chef and the knowldege and pride of the waitress.

This is a very lively restaurant, booked out well ahead. Clearly very fashionable with locals but fully deserving of its reputation. If you are visiting Charleston, this should be your first choice but book in advance.