“Forever FIG !”

Cross street: Hasell
Midlothian, Virginia
“Forever FIG !”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is a true good food lovers gem! The ingredients are so fresh, flavorful and colorful that you simply don't want dinner to end! My husband had the local tomato tarte tatin followed by the swordfish with chanterelles mushrooms. Both were marvelous. I chose a light, super salad of bright,tangy greens and honey crisp apple in a perfectly balanced vinaigrette. The salad was followed by the jumbo flounder with autumn vegetables on a bed of sautéed greens... specially prepared for me as I didn't want the potato purée. We ordered some baked beans with sorghum for the table. For dessert, you will really enjoy this... My husband had an outstanding apple and almond cake with a small scoop of luscious yogurt gelato....and I had the other vegetable offered that evening! Vegetables are very important to me and I know a good vegetable when I see one, smell one, eat one! These green beans with red pepper lovingly coated with a mint pesto were the best dessert I have ever had! We each had a glass of a different red wine. Both were lovely. It was a marvelous dinner leaving us both feel happy and excited about good food! Truly, food is GREAT at FIG (which means food is good)!

Hoylake, United Kingdom
“Top marks!”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Our party of 3 was particularly impressed by the waiter whose knowledge of the menu and wine list and his very pleasant and professional manner ensured that we made excellent choices. For starters we shared a pate - delicious and light. My cocotte of fish was amazingly good - better than any I've had in France! Wooden floors and no soft furnishings combined with fairly tightly packed tables make it quite loud on busy nights.

Visited September 2012
“Over the Top”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Seasoned traveler and Foodie here. I had one of the best dinners in years at Fig tonight.

Heirloom tomatoes, swordfish, greens....absolutely exceptional. Can't to go back.

Dayton, Ohio
“Tried and True”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This was my second go around at FIG. The first was a couple months ago and neither time did I have a reservation (I do recommend a reservation if you want to be guaranteed a table). Both times I arrived before they open at 5:30 to try to get a table. The first time it worked, the second it didn't, but we did nab a spot at the bar where there is also full menu available. The first time our waitress was OUTSTANDING. I wish I could remember her name to give her a shout out but sadly I forget. (The rest of this review is about the second visit-I can assure you the first was just as amazing)

This time we sat at the bar. There was no spot at the beginning but the maitre d was so understanding and as people left the bar he kept the spots open so that we would have three seats in a row. My mom and sister were already enjoying their drinks but I needed help in choosing one. The bartender, Tim, was more than happy to endulge me in giving his recommendation for wine. (At this restaurant do not hesitate to take their recommendations-they know their stuff). We then set about trying to wittle down the menu, which is not easy since we wanted to order EVERYTHING there. Therefore we once again asked for recommendations. We settled on a bunch of appetizers to share from the pumpkin soup (if this is still on the menu when you go, I urge you to order 2 of them!!) to the lamb crudo, and the tomato tartin. All of these were simply amazing and after every round of dishes Tim came back to see what we liked or didn't like and talk to us about each dish. There wasn't anything we didn't like! When it came to dessert we wanted the chocolate but Tim urged us to try the sticky cake. The chocolate was sinfully delicious and we loved every bite. The sticky cake was good, but not out favorite part of the meal. Apparently women love the chocolate and men love the sticky cake-just a note for your dessert pleasure. After dinner was over, the other bartender Andrew asked us if we'd like to try a dessert cocktail that he claimed was the best in the city-it was called a mochatini. It was the best I've had anywhere and I don't like sweet drinks. It's not on the menu but if Andrew is the bartender, have him make you one!!! By the end of dinner, we were all in love with the bartenders and never ever wanted to leave! If you have the chance to go here, don't hesitate for a minute!!!

Magnolia, Texas
“I travel the world and this was the best meal ever!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I leave lots of reviews on TripAdvisor, and I take it seriously because all of the other reviews have helped us so much when we travel. I can honestly say Fig is the best food I've ever tasted. We had to sit at the bar because you need to make a reservation a good 2-3 weeks in advance. All we ordered were appetizers, but ended up sharing them and an entrée with a lovely couple sitting with us at the bar. They owned a chain of restaurants, and they said the same thing...best meal of their life.

We ordered the following:

JOHN’S ISLAND TOMATO TARTE TATIN fromage blanc, tapenade...
I only like tomatoes when they are in a pasta sauce or as catsup! I say this, because this season dish was the greatest thing I've ever tasted in my life! I will dream about this dish for as long as I live. =] There are no words to describe how good this tomato was. Just hope you go when it is in season.

ESCABECHE of CAROLINA WHITE SHRIMP marinated vegetables, fresh herbs...
Our new friends ordered this lovely dish, it is served cold and has the most amazing white vinegar taste to it. They actually marinate all the ingredients over night...extremely good.

PURÉE of PUMPKIN SOUP crème fraiche, pumpkin seed, beurre noisette...
Never had a better pumpkin soup, and my wife loves this kind of soup and she couldn't stop talking about it.

FRESH TAGLIOLINI soft cooked egg, stone crab, chanterelles...
Amazing! I was a little sad we didn't order another round of the John's Island dish, but this was well worth it. Very creative dish with the pasta and a very loosely cooked egg siting in the middle.

RICOTTA GNOCCHI and BORDER SPRINGS FARM BOLOGNESE...
I've had some of the best gnocchi in NYC and Italy, and none compare to this one! When you put the gnocchi in your mouth, it literally melts. Very cool experience and great sauce.

We also shared the swordfish with the couple next to us at the bar. I don't like fish, but this one was excellent and would be worth ordering in the future.

The ambiance is great, and the staff excellent at serving and helping you order off the menu. You just feel like hanging out for hours...which we did for a total of 2hrs.

1 Thank Mcsmalley