“A French Brasserie in Charleston”
Review of 39 Rue de Jean

39 Rue de Jean
Reserve with OpenTable
39 Rue de Jean is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #66 of 940 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: French
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Located in historic downtown Charleston , SC , 39 Rue de Jean is a refined French cafe and bar offering the best in classic Brasserie cuisine. The creations of our culinary team pay homage to the classic brasserie cuisine that inspired vehemently loyal Parisians. Guests of 39 Rue de Jean enjoy indoor/outdoor patio seating, cocktails and a predominantly French wine list blended with a selection of our steward's favorites.39 Rue de Jean offers a private dining room that can be transformed to host professional gatherings or celebratory affairs, accommodating up to 200 guests. This unique space, overlooking Upper King Street, features vaulted ceilings, exposed brick and a private entrance
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The setting and atmosphere are charming. It felt like we were back once again in France, and the food and the wine were greatly enjoyed by our party of four. Good thing, since the service was "extremely leisurely" but friendly. I appreciated the varied menu offerings, many of which were vegetarian-friendly. The "value" is debatable, four luncheon mains and four glasses of wine for over $100, but I guess that is "par for the course" in similar restaurants. Still it was a highlight of our visit to Charleston, and I am sure it would be a romantic splurge for a couple who longs to return to France and French cuisine.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,189)

Reviewed March 18, 2013

So, I was initially planning on going here for lunch in order to have a Croque Monsieur. But, I love cheeseburgers and ran an internet search for the best cheeseburgers in Charleston and Rue de Jean popped up a couple of times. So, instead of the Croque, I ordered the cheeseburger. I ordered it medium-well with the steak frites. After, the first bite, I knew that this was one of the best cheeseburgers I had ever tasted. The thing was simply magnificent. Flavorful, juicy, cooked to perfection. Just a fabulous burger. A few days ago, I had a burger at what was my #1 burger place before Rue and it did not compare. The Rue burger is better. The steak frites were good, too, but the cheeseburger is out of this world. You will not be disappointed. It currently sits atop my list of best cheeseburgers.

Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Charming French bistro atmosphere. Very attentive and courteous wait staff.
I had French onion soup, which I found to be a bit disappointing due to its very mild flavor, but my salmon entree was melt-in-your-mouth, served on a bed of seasoned mashed potatoes. The chocolate pot de creme was exceptional.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

39 was our second restaurant let down while in Charleston. We read and use Tripadvisor so the restaurant came highly recommended. Lets start with the good. The interior space is really nice. The whole interior is simply great. We were seated right away. The waiter started the night courteous and attentive. Then things started to move toward the bad end of the scale.

Having taken our drink order, and delivered our drinks, the waiter disappeared. It did not take long to figure out why. A table of 8 or 10 young ladies at the back of the restaurant were having a birthday party. All the waiters became obsessed with this party. Including ours. We are over 50, but we certainly understand the attraction. It was hilarious to watch 3 or 4 waiters taking turns peering around the corner at the girls, but trying to not be noticed.

Anyway to salvage the evening we just started communicating with the bartender directly for our next round of drinks. He then took it as his mission to find our waiter rather than let us take the drinks directly to our table. The food order was taken very late in the evening for the same reason as the drinks were late earlier. Sadly when the burgers arrived they were completely overdone and the buns were dry as dust. We ordered medium. We were so hungry we ate what we could. The fries were good.

I am quite sure that a visit to this restaurant on any other night than the aforementioned birthday party would have yielded better service. The burger though would still have been burnt and dry on any night. Maybe the cook was busy observing the party of girls too? Who knows. Can't recommend the restaurant. We did leave with a good story for our $60.00 bill.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I can't remember the exact name of the meal I had but I can tell you it was DELICIOUS!! It had penne noodles, shrimp, scallops in a great tasting cream sauce. Best tasting meal I've had in a long time.