“One of the best meals ever!!!”
Review of 39 Rue de Jean

39 Rue de Jean
Reserve with OpenTable
39 Rue de Jean is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #65 of 933 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: French
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Located in historic downtown Charleston , SC , 39 Rue de Jean is a refined French cafe and bar offering the best in classic Brasserie cuisine. The creations of our culinary team pay homage to the classic brasserie cuisine that inspired vehemently loyal Parisians. Guests of 39 Rue de Jean enjoy indoor/outdoor patio seating, cocktails and a predominantly French wine list blended with a selection of our steward's favorites.39 Rue de Jean offers a private dining room that can be transformed to host professional gatherings or celebratory affairs, accommodating up to 200 guests. This unique space, overlooking Upper King Street, features vaulted ceilings, exposed brick and a private entrance
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Love to stop in Charleston to break up the drive to Florida. On a timeshare presentation in 2011, I mentioned to the salesperson that I wanted mussels. His suggestion was 39 Rue de Jean. Wonderful experience!!! Mussels were great and under $14. Husband had a great steak smothered with caramelized onions for around $20. Great food and excellent service. We went back in 2012 and ordered the same dishes since we had been drolling for them. Second time was just a good as the first. I tell everyone to make it a stop whenever in Charleston!

There are newer reviews for 39 Rue de Jean

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Upon checking into The Hampton Inn after 8p.m. My husband and I were quite hungry and wanted to get a quick not too expensive of a meal. The front desk directed us to 39 right next to the hotel and said they had a good burger for about $11. My husband and I split a cheddar burger with slim fries. They even divided it up onto two plates for us giving both of us an ample amount of fries. Our server Craig did an awesome job making our first restaurant experience in Charleston a good one. We liked this place so much for the relaxed atmosphere that we returned for drinks on our last evening there. We enjoyed visiting with the bartender from Boston. I even found myself recommending 39 to another Hampton guest when she asked me did I know a good place to get a hamburger in the area.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Looking for a new place to eat lunch, the wife and I decided to try 39 Rue DE Jean. Even with a 30 minute wait, it was a very good choice. The wife ordered the Pistou Mussels and the Blackened Scallops over spinach salad, Asian pear, with an apple champagne vinaigrette. The Mussels, served in an a garlic, basil and olive oil broth, came to the table piping hot, seasoned, and perfectly cooked. She said Blackened Scallops where the best she ever had.

I had the Crispy Veal Sweetbreads and the Braised Lamb Sandwich. Crispy and hot on the outside, luscious and creamy on the inside, this dish is one of the most decadent I ever tasted. The Braised Lamb Sandwich did not disappoint either.

All an all a great place for a wonderful lunch

1  Thank Mountaineer_Steve
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Just had a late lunch with my friends at this place and all of us liked it. Good food (from burgers to onion soup to salad to their signature omelettes) to enjoy. One girl did not like the crab cakes and got a salad as substitution. Price appropriate, excellent table service and that French bistro atmosphere that makes you want come to back soon.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

One word. Perfect . Great atmosphere where the quality and portions are superb.Love this place. Best frites ever! If you love french ambience, this is the place.

1  Thank dave2580