“Very Memorable!”

Circa 1886 Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Circa 1886 Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 926 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Smith
Description: Chef Marc Collins draws inspiration from many cuisines around the world to create a menu that is truly unique to the Charleston restaurant scene. Drawing inspiration from historic Southern dishes and always highlighting what is local and in season, Chef Collins puts a healthful, distinctive spin on classic Lowcountry dishes. This means there is less butter and cream than typically seen on Southern menus. Whole grains are incorporated to dishes and ingredients are used at the peak of flavor. The result is satisfying dishes that retain their bright, bold flavors without the large amounts of fat found in many restaurant dishes. From our Plantation Rice Bread Rolls made in house daily, to the selection of local seafood, to Pastry Chef Lovorn’s incredible desserts, each dinner at Circa 1886 celebrates the region we call home. Let our professional, attentive, experienced and knowledgeable staff guide you through the menu and help select a wine that is a perfect pairing for food and budget.
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Very Memorable!”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Exceptional in every way! You can tell they understand that first impressions mean a lot, because they have the most delightful hostess to greet you upon arrival. I believe her name was Sarah Sheafer. The servers are courteous and knowledgeable about the menu and make fantastic recommendations. For instance, I reviewed their menu on-line before I went in and told myself that I was NOT going to try the antelope, as an example. Did not sound good at all to me. BUT ... when I got there, our server told me that the antelope was their signature dish and promised me that I would love it. So I ordered it and you can guess the rest of the story. Fantastic! This is a place to eat in Charleston that you do not want to miss if you are visiting.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Tom_Larkin

Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Atmospheric restaurant”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Atmospheric, high end restaurant, with tasty food and good wine selection. Customers included a lot of locals, which is always a good sign.

Visited May 2014
New York City, New York
“Impeccable!!!”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Service staff was very professional and knowledgeable, the food was delicious and presented beautifully. The carriage house is very cozy and elegant with a romantic appeal, the perfect Charleston evening.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank dreyes1047
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Circa 1886 Restaurant, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for reviewing your recent dinner at Circa 1886 Restaurant. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed a cozy and romantic evening at our restaurant. Thank you for sharing your experience. We look forward to your next visit.

Richard Widman and Chef Marc Collins, Co-Owners
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Best of the Best”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This was our first time at Circa 1886 and it was fabulous. From the salad course through the entre and dessert , the service and food were excellent. Wine selection was very good and reasonable.

Our entre consisted of antelope on a base of mushroom puree with coffee with sweet corn succatash. The strawberry soufle was sooo delicious we wish we could have had another

We defintely will be back.

• Visited June 2014
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“DELICIOUS!!!”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

So great. My fiance and I can't wait to go back. Amazing dinner and great breakfast!! For dinner I ordered the filet with chocolate truffle cake and for breakfast I had house made granola with yogurt...so so so yummy and French Press coffee. Small, quaint atmosphere.

Visited April 2014