“Lovely dinner”

Circa 1886 Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Circa 1886 Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Smith
Description: Chef Marc Collins draws inspiration from many cuisines around the world to create a menu that is truly unique to the Charleston restaurant scene. Drawing inspiration from historic Southern dishes and always highlighting what is local and in season, Chef Collins puts a healthful, distinctive spin on classic Lowcountry dishes. This means there is less butter and cream than typically seen on Southern menus. Whole grains are incorporated to dishes and ingredients are used at the peak of flavor. The result is satisfying dishes that retain their bright, bold flavors without the large amounts of fat found in many restaurant dishes. From our Plantation Rice Bread Rolls made in house daily, to the selection of local seafood, to Pastry Chef Lovorn’s incredible desserts, each dinner at Circa 1886 celebrates the region we call home. Let our professional, attentive, experienced and knowledgeable staff guide you through the menu and help select a wine that is a perfect pairing for food and budget.
Princeton, NJ
“Lovely dinner”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Excellent service, very good food and the best desserts make this a must stop place for dinner in Charleston.

Visited June 2014

Charleston, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beer & blue jeans dinner the best”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Had a fantastic experience at Circa 1886. It was their second beer-pairing dinner with a local craft brewery and it was so much fun. Typically Circa leans toward terrific wine-pained dinners, this evening was more casual and festive. The beers were terrific, from a new brewery in Charleston called Freehouse, that has a very creative brew master. All four courses were delicious and nicely paired. We will be back!!

Stuart, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What an experience!”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

My husband and I ordered the Chefs Tasting menu and it was work every cent. The best food I have ever had by far. I ordered the wine pairing with my meal and I was not disappointed. PERFECTION! I am going to be back as much as my wallet will allow!

1 Thank Brittaney J
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Circa 1886 Restaurant, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Circa 1886 Restaurant. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed exploring our dishes through the Chef’s tasting menu. Many thanks for your kind words. We look forward to your return visit.

Richard Widman and Chef Marc Collins, Co-Owners
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Flourishes”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Celebrating a special occassion at Circa 1886 is a wonderful advanture, full of surprises. We had to take pictures of the food presentations. They were almost as wonderful as the food was tasty. The 3 course meal was full of surprises, from the Citrus inspired tasting of a tomato based luxury soup, to the fishing flourishes on our freshly prepared desert choices, all of our senses soared. The menu choices were delightful, but only served as an encore to a n ight of delights. Service was beyond reproach. We are so very grateful to the entire staff who made our one and only 50 year wedding anniversary so memorable.

1 Thank pangelo511
Cincinnati, Ohio
“My personal bar was raised. Way, wayy up. Perfection.”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Muscovy Duck Breast, Saffron Dirty Rice, Kaffir Lime N' Rum Gastrique, Starfruit Papaya Sambal, Cashews, Chayote... What can I say? This is the best meal I have ever had. It was the best entree, best dessert, best tequila based mixed drink... I've been to Italy - twice. Sweet and spicy, textured food. A slow meal. This meal made me angry that I cannot always eat this way. Why can't we?? The service was also the best ever. 'Just right'. Then.. they set the whole thing in a carriage house of Charleston's finest mansion. Ridiculous. I am not a 'foodie' but now I know why they exist. Had Chef Collins come out to say hi, I would have kissed him right on the mouth. Not simply gorgeous, overwhelmingly so. Thank you! We enjoyed that meal more than any other. My wife and I will be back next time we're in Charleston. This is what a dining experience should be. (insert more superlative-speech - really)

1 Thank PatisRowe
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Circa 1886 Restaurant, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Thank you for your detailed review of your dining experience at Circa 1886 Restaurant. The impression you had of our restaurant is exactly what we hope every one of our guests takes with them when they leave. It is the ultimate compliment to be considered your best meal ever. We truly appreciate your wonderful feedback and look forward to your return visit.

Richard Widman and Chef Marc Collins, Co-Owners