“not BBQ in my opinion”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We had rotisserie chicken. All you could taste was SMOKE! Yuck! With my eyes closed, I could not have identified what meat I was eating- there was no taste of chicken, only smoke. .There did not seem to be any seasoning on the chicken, or anything resembling barbeque sauce. For the sides, I chose green beans, which were very overcooked, with some unidentifiable spices, and steak fries, which would have been ok except that they were all soggy from the juice from the beans. The meal came with a typical corn muffin, and one large onion ring, which was by far the best part of the meal!
This was not an experience I"d ever want to repeat.

3  Thank 2507traveler

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Billed as slow rotisserie chicken over wood fire. Well, all you can taste is wood smoke and cooked so long the meat has the consistency of hot cereal. I hope this is not representative of all southern BBQ.

2  Thank paddlerman
Reviewed April 16, 2014

This place is classic BBQ, southern style! They've been doing it for decades now, and that includes secret family recipes. Lately they're adding some "perky" specials like Fried Green Tomato burger that's supposedly amazing, and a real deal too!

2  Thank eboineau
Reviewed April 7, 2014

This place is awesome. I had the rotisserie chicken plate. My wife had the pulled pork plate. I must say that chicken was the best smoked chicken I have ever had. We were very impressed with this place. I would recommend Bessinger's to anyone that enjoys BBQ. Carolina at it's best!

2  Thank Demented_Avenger
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Wow! We were delighted to discover Bessinger's while vacationing in South Carolina. The half chicken was cooked to perfection - amazingly tender and flavorful. The
Little Joe basket had a sandwich with the best pulled pork I have ever tasted along the giant onion ring as an especially delightful treat. We fell in love with the Hickory Red Sauce. The staff was helpful and pleasant! Thanks to Bessinger's for a great BBQ experience.

Charlie and Heather Zimmerman