“Really good food”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in right before closing. The service was fast, as the food was already prepared, they were all super nice and yes, it was delicious! We will definitely stop here again when we come back through town.

4  Thank Robin19605

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Bessinger's has about 6 locations around Charleston. Ribs (both wet and dry) were excellent. BBQ brisket sandwich was average taste-wise...but very small. Side dishes were OK. Prices were reasonable. This was a "gotta get some S.C. BBQ" stop while we were running out of time -- I'll bet you could find better. Regardless, this was perfectly adequate...just not outstanding.

1  Thank bryanelliot
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I went to college in Charleston and was back in town for my class reunion. I've been going to Bessinger's for 30+ years. It is a favorites place for my wife and me so we never miss going there. This style of BBQ is the low country South Carolina style which means it is a mustard base. This is style/flavor is different to some folks, but I think it is what makes the BBQ so good. They also offer a onion ring that is very unique. The onion ring looks like a donut and is in a soft type of dough as compared to your typical fried onion ring. They are delicious. I travelled solo this visit and my wife is so jealous that she is still giving me grief that she couldn't eat there with me. In my book this is a must have.

3  Thank ElCid83
Reviewed November 5, 2013

The place is unique in that it has two different sides to the restaurant. One for buffet and one for sit-down. The BBQ isn't my preference, but it wasn't terrible by any means. It seems to be a mustard base. Again, not my preference, but still good.

You get a decent amount of food for the price. The pecan pie was delicious. My baked beans were average. The sweet tea was one of the best I've had in SC so far.

Overall, I would go again. I would recommend this place.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Receommended by the local hotel clerk. Not great,not bad. I had the pulled pork which had plenty of smoke, but too much mustard-based sauce. I know my way around a smoker and do my own Q and prefer it without sauce, so on the side would've been more to my liking. Decor is pretty plain ... booths and tables. Ok for a quick meal. Prices seemed a little on the high side for the smallesh portions we recived.

1  Thank blandboy
Michael B, Owner at Bessinger's Barbecue, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Thank you for your review. It's always good to hear from a fellow BBQ aficionado. I'm disappointed that we didn't meet your expectations and if you are back in the area, please let me know so I can do what I can to improve on your visit. As far as the mustard sauce goes, that's how we have been doing it for 75 years. It's not for everyone, but that's what is so great about BBQ, the diversity. I'm sure you would agree. When I BBQ at home, I do it MANY different ways.
As far as the decor being plain, we are still decorating from a flood that we had. We completely gutted the dining area and are slowly adding to it.
Thank you for your patronage and keep on smokin'.