“soggy BBQ,indifferent service, all at a ridiculous price”

Bessinger's Barbecue
Ranked #211 of 933 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Buffet
Reviewed June 3, 2013

some old businesses expect customers to just keep coming because the place is an old institution. sometimes it works. it worked on me, but just once. I am no BBQ snob, picking about the different rubs or getting into fights over mustard vs. vinegar. i like BBQ and i have almost never have it bad. i really don't know how it was prepared, but if it had been boiled it would have tasted the same. the ribs were OK but that's all i can say for the entire buffet. i usually stuff myself with BBQ and cole slaw so i don't even care about the rest of the buffet, but i had to go fishing around for something decent to eat here. the desserts were an embarrassment. chalky banana pudding and if the upside down peach cake is cold and soggy at 8pm saturday night, when is it hot and fresh?? did i mention TWICE the price of a real BBQ place?

2  Thank don f
Michael B, Owner at Bessinger's Barbecue, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Hello,
I am very sorry for your poor dinning experience. We do try to serve the best food possible on a daily basis. If you came at 8:00 to eat with us, then that COULD be SOME of the reason for the poor quality because we close at 8:00 in the buffet dining room. HOWEVER, that is no excuse for your experience. I will personally check into what the problem may have been, but I will say that we try not to cook food to be left over, but to let the buffet run out so we can cook fresh food the next day. Buffets are not a science and some days are extremely busy and some days are not. Food can dry out in a buffet if it is slower and we prefer not to reheat that for the next day. I can assure you that we do not boil any BBQ here. All of out BBQ meats, including turkey is smoked on wood burning pits, not boiling water or electric oven.
Again, I apologize for your experience, but we want to continue to listen to our customers so that we can continue to serve South Carolina for another 74 years. If you are in town again soon, please ask for me, Michael Bessinger, and I will see that you leave here a happy customer.

There are newer reviews for Bessinger's Barbecue

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I grew up eating this barbeque and always come back here when I am in town. Best barbeque with a mustard based sauce.

2  Thank Linda C
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I love the sauce . I got the sliced beef sandwich. Awesome. The onion ring was also very good. I will be going for the buffet .. Portion size was just right. Friendly staff.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Love the southern style BBQ... its like no other area and the food is great! They also have a wonderful P-nut better pie if you have room for it.. if not get it to go!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We ate in the sandwich shop half, not the buffet half. My husband LOVED the onion rings - he even ordered an order to go! He also really liked the baked beans. I was less impressed with my dinner; it was fine but nothing to rave about. The mustard based sauce was different but not bad. Overall not a bad experience but I will continue my hunt for good barbecue.