“Wasn't that satisfying”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Buffet
Reviewed December 20, 2012

First time I've been here was wonderful. I came back and this time I was disappointed. The portions were small...ribs were mostly bones and for a high price. Chicken was very dry. If I didn't drown the chicken with the BBQ sauce it would be like eating paper. The pulled pork was tasty, however. Overall, I feel like I had mostly fries and side items because the meat was scarce for the price. I think I'll go back to another BBQ place next time and try them out...

1  Thank Rob L
Michael B, Owner at Bessinger's Barbecue, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

I am very sorry that your experience was mediocre. As you mentioned, you ate with us before and you were satisfied. The quality of food that you received is not up to par and I want to encourage you to stop in and see me personally so I can get you what you deserve!!!! No one is deserving of dry meat and smaller portions, which is surprising to me because we are constantly told that our potions are too large. So, I need to figure out what happened there but know that I am checking into it so that our quality control os more consistent. Thank you so much for your patronage and stop by and se me soon. Happy BBQing!!

Reviewed December 13, 2012

I've been eating at Bessigner's since I was a kid. Most people who grew up in Charleston have. It may not be gourmet, but it is definitely good for a quick meal. Their onion rings are my favorites.

1  Thank PeanutPopcorn1

Thank you so much for the nice words. Heck no, we are not gourmet. We are Local, Messy, Delicious BBQ!!!!!!!! Thanks again for your long term patronage and the next time you are in, say hello.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

the hash and rice was awesome and the vegetable plate was huge! i am not a fan of sweet cornbread but it was cooked very well...food very good

Awesome!! Thanks for the great review. Yea, the portions can be a bit of a struggle for some, but most make it through it. The Hickory Hash and Rice is by far one of our most favorite menu items. Slowly stewed potatoes, BBQ pork, onions, beef and spices is a magical combination. Thanks again and thank you.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I was going to try another place which I did not find and saw this on the way out so back up the road we went to eat.

We ate here on a Sunday and there was a buffet. While the food was good, about the only thing I would call barbecue was the chopped pork which had a South Carolina mustard sauce. However the food was plentiful, hot and tasty too.

The service was great as I tend to drink a lot when I eat and there was always a fresh glass of drink as I finished one and the plates were removed as soon as you were done.

Thank you for your visit and review. Just to make a small clarification on the buffet and what BBQ may have been on it. Our buffet is labeled as a Country buffet and not a BBQ buffet. however, we do put BBQ pork, St. Louis style ribs, sausage, skins and chicken ads our traditional BBQ meats. In addition to that we have about 20 fixins that you would find on a traditional South Carolina buffet or backyard BBQ. With that being said, we appreciate your business and are happy that you walked away happy. Come in again and say hello. We love to talk with our customers.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Great food and value for the money. It's only open for the buffet for a couple of hours on Fridays and Saturdays. The staff and patrons were very friendly and help us in knowing the 'routine' of the restaurant.

1  Thank Maureen R

Woohooo!!! We are very happy to hear that you are a happy and full when you left. Thanks for visiting and say hello the next time you are in.