“Excellent food, okay service”
Review of Hyman's Seafood

Hyman's Seafood
Ranked #79 of 932 Restaurants in Charleston
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Description: The HYMANS have been at the same location for over 126 years starting out as a Wholesale dry goods store then changing to HYMANS SEAFOOD AND AARON'S DELI in 1987. The HYMANS commitment to guaranteed customer satisfaction is the reason that HYMANS SEAFOOD is now a Charleston landmark.Hymans Half Shell offers fresh oysters and great happy hour specials daily. Fresh LOCAL fish specials daily, delivered straight off of our coast. If there is ever a problem, please notify one of the family members that are in the building at all times.
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We went to this restaurant on a Sunday night when they were pretty busy. There was a line out the door but we only had to wait about 10-15 minutes to be seated, which was much quicker than we expected. They even handed out AMAZING hush puppies to those waiting, which was very nice. We liked how how the tables had names of famous people who had eaten there, it was fun to look at all the names. We got the fried green tomatoes which were to die for! I'm still wanting more of them weeks later. Unfortunately, although the food was great, the service was lacking. We waited about 50 minutes from when we ordered to when our food came. I realize that they were very crowded but this was just too long to wait. Our waitress was alright, but not particularly friendly and when we handed her a coupon for a free appetizer at the beginning of the order she didn't say anything and just took it from us with a very disgruntled look on her face. It was enough that my mother and I looked at each other because we thought it was so strange. If I had to make a suggestion to anyone, I would say just don't go there when you are on any kind of time constraint whatsoever and you will be fine. Again, the food and atmosphere overall was excellent, just the service left something to be desired.

1  Thank Taryn H
There are newer reviews for Hyman's Seafood

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Wanted at least one good seafood meal on our recent trip to Charleston, so opted for Hyman's, despite walking many blocks to reach it. While they have a kid's menu, I wouldn't say this is a family type of place. They were the only kids in there for a long while, and I would say it's more of a couples, late night/college crowd bar/restaurant. I did enjoy my bowl of she-crab soup. It was very delicious. My husband's fish was just ok, nothing special. The highlight of the dinner was the coupons the kids got for a free ice cream scoop downstairs in the general store. That was nice, but overall I found this place nothing special with just so-so seafood. I wouldn't seek it out for seafood dinner, but it might be fun on a date night.

1  Thank BRMom3
Reviewed June 8, 2014

After seeing many ads and passing by the restaurant while visiting downtown Charleston, we finally stopped in for dinner (when there was not a long line.) The fish was indeed very good but the baked potato was not done. The waitress said she would get us another one and said she would have the manager stop over (we did not ask for this, only another potato.) We never got one but did get offers for hush puppies and more hush puppies.

1  Thank Tina C
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Went for lunch and had no wait for a party of 5. The hushpuppies are little bombs of fried goodness. Service was awesome. Autumn, or waitress was very helpful and had a wonderful happy attitude. We ordered the shrimp and pups appetizer, crab cake, wadmalaw delight (3 fried green tomatoes over grits and cheese), kids pizza and fried and mac n' cheese. The shrimp was a little blah tasting and the crabcake was small( tasted delish) for the price but over all, food was good. Owner gave us free ice cream/popcorn coupons and the peach ice cream was very good. Atmosphere is very
Nice, despite a full seating it wasn't loud.
Will go back next time we visit!

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Food was good. If you are looking for great seafood, go somewhere else. It was a great, fun atmosphere and the staff was very nice. This would a good place to take a group, that wants try lots of different food. The Wadamalaw Delight was delicious, but everything else was just average.

1  Thank Kevin H