“Good menu - especially if you like to try new things...”
Review of Hyman's Seafood

Hyman's Seafood
Ranked #85 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Description: The HYMANS have been at the same location for over 126 years starting out as a Wholesale dry goods store then changing to HYMANS SEAFOOD AND AARON'S DELI in 1987. The HYMANS commitment to guaranteed customer satisfaction is the reason that HYMANS SEAFOOD is now a Charleston landmark.Hymans Half Shell offers fresh oysters and great happy hour specials daily. Fresh LOCAL fish specials daily, delivered straight off of our coast. If there is ever a problem, please notify one of the family members that are in the building at all times.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good menu - especially if you like to try new things...”
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I enjoyed a nice meal at Hyman's. we did the pick 7 and were able try some new items that we might not normally order. Not to mention we were seated at the table where Vanilla Ice sat... BONUS! Our server was great to give recommendations. Overall a great experience.

1 Thank Timbrantjr

Asheville, North Carolina
“Terrible tourist trap! Horrible food!”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is the worst tourist trap EVER... The long lines etc... WHY? The food is terrible, ours was cold when it arrived to our table FINALLY.
This place does not deserve ANY hype, even the locals do not eat there!
The locals did send us to a place that had WONDERFUL seafood and top notch service.

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Well worth the wait”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We queued for 40 minutes for a table, but it was well worth the wait! The food was amazing (I had the alligator sausage, brilliant) as was the service. The restaurant owner even came over to check we were happy with our meals.

A really lovely, accommodating restaurant and a definite to visit whenever you're in Charleston.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Leanne C
“Tourist Trap!! Don't Fall for It.”
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

My family dined at Hyman's on our four night visit to Charleston last week. Don't believe the hype. The food is awful - nothing but frozen seafood. We had fish, crab, scallops and shrimp. With all due respect to other critiques, I have no idea how anyone could say this place serves excellent seafood. We are from Florida and live right near the coast so we know a little about great, fresh seafood. This was honestly some of the worst seafood I've ever tried to eat - and to make matters worse it's very expensive relative to the quality of food served. Both the tables next to us expressed disappointment in their meals as well. I had my suspicions before going to Hyman's, but with all the accolades the restaurant boasts about in its ads you think it must be pretty good. Don't be fooled. It's not. Hyman's was our worst dining experience by far - way far - while in Charleston. Please do yourself a favor and skip this tourist trap. I was so disappointed in fact with our meal that I emailed Hyman's to see if they would at least honor their "guarantee" that they advertise - did not even get a response. We ate at Magnolias, Pougan's Porch and Fleet the other nights we were there. All were excellent experiences with Magnolia's and Pougan's bringing out the very best in fresh seafood. There's a reason the locals tell you to steer clear of Hyman's. Take my advice and heed their warnings.

4 Thank Foodpick
Georgetown, Kentucky
“Not what I thought”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Food not what I thought OK at best. The fish was dry? Never had that before... it was hard to even eat. The service was great but the seating was not. We got stuck in the back by the kitchen area and the staff "hang out" so instead of enjoying anytime of out dinner we got to hear all of the staff complain and talk about personal issues :( Nice to see for history... but that is about it.

1 Thank Cassie B