“Fun Eats”
Review of Hyman's Seafood

Hyman's Seafood
Ranked #74 of 947 Restaurants in Charleston
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Description: The HYMANS have been at the same location for over 126 years starting out as a Wholesale dry goods store then changing to HYMANS SEAFOOD AND AARON'S DELI in 1987. The HYMANS commitment to guaranteed customer satisfaction is the reason that HYMANS SEAFOOD is now a Charleston landmark.Hymans Half Shell offers fresh oysters and great happy hour specials daily. Fresh LOCAL fish specials daily, delivered straight off of our coast. If there is ever a problem, please notify one of the family members that are in the building at all times.
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We ate on a weekday around 1:30PM and had no wait with a window seat. The staff was congenial with two managers coming by to talk with us and check in to see if we were pleased. We only waited about 15 minutes for the food. The hushpuppies were slightly sweet with a hint of the beer used in the recipe lingering, definitely a crowd pleaser. The seafood plate was very tasty and warm with fried items being crisp, not soggy or overdone. My daughter's shrimp and grits were "the bomb" she tells me, and being from the South, we know grits. It is not gourmet, but the atmosphere is fun and interesting. It is simply good seafood for anyone and is also family friendly.

1  Thank ajhappy1
Write a ReviewReviews (5,538)

Reviewed July 11, 2013

It is an akward layout inside, but that is true for just about anything in the Charleston area. The menu selection and fresh fish is outstanding, so much to choose from. The calamari is great and I get it every single visit. Just such a great place.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

First time to Charleston, but we are from Florida and know good seafood. This is not it. Ordered the shrimp n grits and it was just awful. They offer it 2 ways, tried both and just plain yucky. The fried green tomatoes are swimming in some tragic gravy/grit mixture that is not savory. The fried seafood is average, sides are just so-so. Definitely not impressed for the long line outside. Not sure what people are so impressed with? It's along the lines of a Duffs, Piccadilly, Morrisons or Lubys (blech). If you like that sort of thing, then go. Best thing is the hush puppies and Cajun mayo. Sorry, not for me.

1  Thank KC L
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This restaurant has the best hushpuppies anywhere! I had the crispy flounder and it was huge. I don't normally eat bone-in fish but I was tempted to try it after seeing someone else's plate. Excellent decision on my part! I didn't even have room to eat my baked potato. The owner was very friendly as was our waiter. My family will definitely return to Hyman's Seafood any time we visit Charleston!

1  Thank GABride
Reviewed July 10, 2013

There's a good reason Hyman's is a landmark. Great casual dining experience. Charming. And anybody who is anybody has eaten here. We went as a family of seven with young children. Everyone enjoyed their meal. And the hushpuppies that were handed out to the waiting line made the time pass nicely. The seafood was simple but perfect. I highly recommend the shrimp and grits and the buffalo shrimp. Worth the wait.