“Touristy but good!”
Review of Hyman's Seafood

Hyman's Seafood
Ranked #77 of 936 Restaurants in Charleston
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Description: The HYMANS have been at the same location for over 126 years starting out as a Wholesale dry goods store then changing to HYMANS SEAFOOD AND AARON'S DELI in 1987. The HYMANS commitment to guaranteed customer satisfaction is the reason that HYMANS SEAFOOD is now a Charleston landmark.Hymans Half Shell offers fresh oysters and great happy hour specials daily. Fresh LOCAL fish specials daily, delivered straight off of our coast. If there is ever a problem, please notify one of the family members that are in the building at all times.
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Please do not go to Bubba Gump Shimp when this place is right around the corner! We hit this place after the Tommy Dew walking tour and were not disappointed. You can tell this is a high volume restaurant and they are definitely geared to serve the masses, but the food is good and the service is excellent. The owner or manager will visit your table and make you feel like you are a VIP. The prices are reasonable too. Eli and his team are doing a great job.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

A family member and I chose to go to Hyman's our first night in Charleston after reading a hotel brochure. The wait wasn't long, maybe 15-20 minutes, but if we hadn't waited at all it wouldn't have been worth it. The free crab and shrimp dip was really cold which I found gross. I can say the hushpuppies, fried green tomatoes and the Carolina-style shrimp and grits with bacon and cheese were good. But the calamari were small circles even though the waiter claimed they would be bigger. Small circles of calamari are never good. The swordfish had very little taste besides the lemon pepper mess put on top. The person I dined with ordered fried shrimp and scallops and couldn't even eat it, it was so bad. I tried it and agreed. The manager did give her some broiled scallops but they tasted fishy. They say they use all new oil everyday but if you fry everything together, broil everything together, etc,, it is all going to taste the same regardless. However, the main thing to know is that AFTER eating there we asked many "Charlestonians" like tour guides about the restaurant and THEY ALL SAID IT WAS A TOURIST TRAP WITH HORRIBLE FOOD. And when I say all, I mean ALL! DO NOT GO THERE! Don't believe me? Ask any "Charlestonian" that isn't giving out coupons or brochures on the restaurant, like a house guide, what they think. Then again, if you like fried seafood that all tastes the same and is the same caliber or worse than Long John Silver's, have at it. Oh, and all the "celebrities" that eat there? You will find that most are just pictures with their achievements typed beneath, unsigned. Great advertisement for the celebrities really. You want a restaurant with real celebrity endorsements? Go to Poogan's Porch.

3  Thank Osmart4
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was a little leery because of the reviews (I quickly looked it up after the carriage tour) but it was suggested by one of the ladies at Classic Carriage Works. We got a coupon for free crab dip (which was not my favorite.) Seating was quick and it was pouring outside that day! Hyman's staff were outside with umbrellas which was nice. I ordered the grits with salmon, I think its called the Hymans special, topped with bacon and cheese, and it was amazing!!!!!!! You seriously get so much food and the hush puppies were really good. Sprinkle some of Hyman's special seasoning on top of the and they actually get better! I did not finish my meal! You will not leave there hungry, I promise. You must go there, even though it is touristy because its just awesome! The tables with celebrities that have eaten there and the plates on the wall make it very memorable!

1  Thank Sue A
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had a lot of great meals in Charleston. Unfortunately, this was not one of them. My husband and both ordered fried platters, the seafood looked and tasted like it had been under a heat lamp for hours and the baked potato was so overcooked, it had no flavor. We will not be returning.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We were a group of 6 ladies from the Midwest enjoying our 60th Birthdays together. Each one of us absolutely loved the dishes we ordered, from fried shrimp to flounder to steak. The service was excellent. Fortunately we got there before a long waiting line which is apparently common at most places in downtown Charleston. We waited for maybe 30 minutes, but it was well worth it. The manager even send us over complimentary desserts for our birthdays - how thoughtful!