“Very good way to start our visit in Charleston”
Review of Cru Cafe

Cru Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Cru Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 916 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Located at 18 Pinckney Street, in a classic 18th century Charleston single-style home, Cru Café offers the best in upscale comfort food. Guests of the restaurant enjoy indoor and outdoor porch seating, gourmet comfort food, a wine list tailored to the varied menu and rich, satisfying desserts. It’s one of Charleston’s best kept secrets. Open for lunch and dinner Tuesday through Saturday.
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
“Very good way to start our visit in Charleston”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

With all of the food choices in Charleston, it is hard to decide which places to put on the top of your list. We chose CRU from all of the great reviews posted on Tripadvisor and glad we did.

We were given the option of porch or inside dining and chose inside as it was quite humid. While tables are somewhat close together, we did not find that to be an issue. There are also seats that allow diners to watch as the kitchen prepares the food so you may want to request that option if that is something that you find enjoyable as part of your meal.

We started with the Calamari with slaw and asked to substitute the sesame dressing with their ginger dressing as I prefer ginger. It was wonderful. The slaw is light and compliments the calamari with a freshness and crunch that separates this dish from the standard fried calamari that most typical establishments serve.

We also ordered the Goat cheese Mesclun salad appetizer. While serving was small, it was flavorful.

For our entree, we ordered the whole pink snapper. Wonderfully prepared, skin scored for easy eating, and at approx. 1 lb., was plenty for the two of us as we shared the dish. It camed with whipped potatoes and green beans and both were very flavorful and a good compliment to the fish.

I was not a big fan of the mac and cheese. Just a little too heavy for my taste, but I am not a big cheese fan. If you like heavy, cheese laden dishes, you may love this, just not my favorite.

All in all, a very nice start to our trip through a beautiful city and great dining!

Visited September 2013

Pittsburgh Pa
“Charleston charm and great food”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

You know my vacation was hit or miss with meals but this was a HIT!I loved my meal. Their food was affordable and yummy. My nieces and I ate with gusto. We all had something different from the menu and enjoyed ourselves.The atmosphere was a lovely quaint older wood frame Charleston house.We drooled over the old building while waiting for our food. I must say everyone in Charleston was gracious and charming to enth degree. This is definitely a restaurant to have on your Charleston vacation itinerary!

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Perfect Charleston Dining Experience”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Loved the charm and small size of this restaurant in the heart of Charleston. Lovely dining experience. Great service, and wonderfully prepared, fresh fish. So glad we chose Cru, out of all the restaurants in Charleston, to visit on the one night we left Isle of Palms to dine.

Visited August 2013
Texas
“Excellent lunch”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My husband and I & our two boys stopped by for lunch on our way out of town without reservations and were seated immediately but outside. The manager quickly lowered the blinds to make us more comfortable. He seemed extremely conscientious and gracious. Service was fast and friendly. Our food was superb. I had a shrimp dish that was perfect. Highly recommend.

1 Thank dosmadre
Warner Robins, Georgia
“Excellent place to dine!”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Set in an old home that seats 36. The food is delicious and the service was excellent. I had the Thai Seafood Risotto. It was delicious. Very nice atmosphere. Not far from Market St. Worth the trip.