“Still the Best in Charleston!”
Review of Cru Cafe

Cru Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Cru Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 916 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Located at 18 Pinckney Street, in a classic 18th century Charleston single-style home, Cru Café offers the best in upscale comfort food. Guests of the restaurant enjoy indoor and outdoor porch seating, gourmet comfort food, a wine list tailored to the varied menu and rich, satisfying desserts. It’s one of Charleston’s best kept secrets. Open for lunch and dinner Tuesday through Saturday.
North Carolina
“Still the Best in Charleston!”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Our party of four went to lunch at the Cru Cafe on August 9th and we sat at the Chef's table. We have been to dinner here but never been to lunch. We frequent Charleston alot and as I mention to the owner Chef John Zucker we have been to the Fig, SNOB, Poogans Porch, etc and wasn't really impressed. Even though as other reviewers has stated Cru Cafe is small and crowded but if you want to go eat a great meal at a affordable price then come here. It was a great expereince setting at the Chef's table and see how hard the staff works and how many it takes to run the kitchen. The whole staff from Chef Zucker, to the waitress that serves the Chef's table, to the cooks, they were all very friendly. The Chef's table was not ready when we arrived and Chef Zucker had the waitress to take our drink order while we were waiting and I thought that was very kind. I was suprise to learn that some of the workers have worked here for up to ten years and that is probably one of the main reasons they are consistently good. The BBQ Beef Brisket I had tasted Heavenly. All four of us ate and two in our party had left overs and our bill was only $53! Save your energy, time, and money, and give this place a try first before you check out other restaurants. Not fancy nor big but the food is awesome! Treat yourself and request the Chef's table and you will not regret it.

1 Thank WNCTarheel

Manchester, New Hampshire
“Friendly, Accomodating, wonderful food and service!”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We recently visited Charleston on our way to Hilton Head. My wife had read about the Cru Cafe and decided that was our spot for lunch! We were with my teenage daughter and her best friend.. these northern New Englanders were bludgeoned by the heat of Charleston and after walking about the city we were wilted and red-faced when we arrived on the steps of the Cru Cafe.. the maitre d asked if we had a reservation and said it would be about a half hour wait.. the only place to wait was outside.. I think the look on our dejected and sweaty faces got to him and he said "one second..." consulted with a server then showed us instantly to a table in the corner positioned beautifully over an a/c vent! Water, a/c and great service cheered us considerably.. the parmesan truffle fries were out of this world, the servers were friendly and solicitious and our meals were just amazing! the girls had burgers, I had a caesar salad with salmon and my wife had a goat cheese and mixed greens salad with shrimp..and everything was delicious. the atmosphere was wonderful and instantly immersed us in the southern experience we were looking for. this is a must stop for anyone in Charleston!

• Visited August 2013
“A bright spot during our rainy day.”
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

We made lunch reservations but arrived a half hour early. It was pouring and we ran out of things to walk to in the rain. They did have room for us and we were seated early. I understand why reservations are so necessary! The restaurant is small but that doesn't hurt the atmosphere. My husband ordered the enchilada special and I got the Italian sandwich with a side of mashed potatoes. Both were delicious. The sandwich was a little messy but messy food always seems to taste better! I would recommend anyone eat there. I can't speak for more than lunch but that was great.

Painesville, Ohio
“Fantastic Restaurant”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

What a gem this restaurant is...I made a reservation for lunch and I wished I could have eaten my way through until dinner. The food was amazing!! I cannot say enough about how amazing this place is...Do yourself a favor and eat here. I had the Shrimp BLT...It was unbelievable...I would definitely go back again for lunch and then make a dinner reservation for another day....

Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
“The best dinner I had in Charleston...”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My dinner at Poogan's Porch was hard to beat, but Cru changed things up just a little, enough to make dinner here a little more inventive... low-country with a bit of an edge. And personally, I was in need of something a little different. Had some delicious meals in Charleston...but I gonna say it...there is not a lot of diversity in the menu's. I believe I hit some of the highlights...Magnolia, Blossom, SNOB, Husk... but in my opinion, variations of the same thing. Here is where Cru took things to another level...with a friendly staff in a charming old southern home.

• Visited July 2013