“Good place for lunch!”
Review of Cru Cafe

Cru Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Cru Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 936 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Located at 18 Pinckney Street, in a classic 18th century Charleston single-style home, Cru Café offers the best in upscale comfort food. Guests of the restaurant enjoy indoor and outdoor porch seating, gourmet comfort food, a wine list tailored to the varied menu and rich, satisfying desserts. It’s one of Charleston’s best kept secrets. Open for lunch and dinner Tuesday through Saturday.
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stopped in here for a light lunch. We were seated straight away. A nice selection on the menu but not so much you don't know what to choose. The staff were very attentive and our food arrived very quickly. My salad came with a large crouton that I couldn't cut and as we were sitting at the kitchen bar the man who prepared my salad kindly offered to cut it up for me. He did this without me having to ask and with a smile on his face. The only two negative points are that we felt the food was slightly over-priced and during our meal an issue with a member of staff arose and this was dealt with within ear shot of us. This diminished the atmosphere of the place. I understand issues arise on the job but please deal with it out of the customers' eyesight and earshot

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Our party of 5 dropped in for an early dinner after an afternoon of sightseeing. Although we didn't have reservations, we were greeted warmly and seated immediately. We probably missed the Saturday night dinner crowd--I noticed the restaurant was starting to fill up as we were leaving. Our server was very attentive and knowledgeable, and the food was excellent. I had the sauteed flounder and it was excellent. Others in my party ordered the Poblano and Mozzarella Fried Chicken, and the Cru Caesar salad and it all was very good. The weakest part of the dinner was desert, which is why I rated the food "Very Good" instead of "Excellent". The bread pudding and cheesecake were both average, with the orange cake being the only noteworthy item. We all sampled each others' desert and agreed on the orange cake. Also, the coffee was wonderful. Best dinner we had in Charleston this trip, and I would definitely re-visit Cru Cafe.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Husband, 2 teens and myself ate here last night. The duck wontons with peach sauce as appetizer was delicious. Had the grilled basil shrimp with
kielbasa, peas and orecchiette pasta; the "special", wahoo fish with ginger & rice cake; the garlic scallops with spaghetti & the swordfish with ground grit cake, shrimp jambalaya & tobacco onions, which we all loved. We had great service with a friendly staff. What made this an extraordinary experience was the low-country food (all local of course) and what seemed to us as unusual pairings that worked perfectly.

Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Without a reservation, my husband and I were seated within minutes...I think we just got lucky though, they were super packed. The fried Brie was superb, ky husband loved his burger and I had a jerk chicken special - you could taste the delicious char or the grill on both. With two entrees, an app and tip, our bill was about $40, which is exceptional for a fine dining lunch. My only complaint was the dining room was quite small.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

This unique little restaurant didn't disappoint. We stopped in after a carriage ride and enjoyed the small homey setting. The Mac n cheese is to die for! I had a coconut fried oyster wrap which was perfect, and my friend an open turkey sandwich. Service was just ok. Everything else was great.