“Favorite place for lunch!”
Review of Cru Cafe

Cru Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Cru Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 926 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Located at 18 Pinckney Street, in a classic 18th century Charleston single-style home, Cru Café offers the best in upscale comfort food. Guests of the restaurant enjoy indoor and outdoor porch seating, gourmet comfort food, a wine list tailored to the varied menu and rich, satisfying desserts. It’s one of Charleston’s best kept secrets. Open for lunch and dinner Tuesday through Saturday.
Hays, KS
“Favorite place for lunch!”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Great location and fabulous food. Only one bathroom so must wait in line for that but well worth that small inconvenience.

Visited May 2013

New York City, New York
“Accomodated us last minute”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Small, quaint restaurant. They accommodated us at last minute at the chef's table overlooking the kitchen. Though I had hoped for attention from the chef, our waitperson provided ample attention. We had clear view into kitchen (it was a cool night, so heat was not a problem) which ran efficiently and looked clean.

Chose items I can't (easily) get at home: fried green tomatoes and fried oyster salad. Both delicious. My friend, who has a shellfish allergy, ordered grilled tuna steak. Unfortunately, it could not be grilled due to allergy; instead was pan seared. Only so-so, meh.

Despite a busy night, we didn't feel rushed out at all.

Overall, really enjoyed it!

Visited May 2013
Fort Myers, Florida
“Good food but........”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I didn't have a reservation but arrived 10 minutes before opening for lunch just to see if I could get seated. Was told I could sit at the chef's table (bar height counter looking into the small kitchen) thought it would be fun place to sit I was solo. I had not been seated for barely 10 seconds when the female chef took a taste of the Chinese chicken salad she was mixing with her mixing spoon and then continued to mix with it (I thought okay it's a fluke) but by the time the salad was to her likening she had tasted and contnued to mix with same spoon 6 more times this was not a single serving but a very large bowl that would take care of many orders.

I was going to order the Chinese chicken salad but after watching opted for the shrimp BLT which was fabulous.

With in minutes of them opening at 11 am the place was full so I was glad I had gotten seated with no reservation.

What I learn from this visit is I don't want sit at the chef table again LOL even though it was fun watching the kitchen buzz. Will I return, yes with a reservation on my next visit in April 2014.

• Visited April 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Superb lunch”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We had lunch at this restaurant today. Saved an hour wait by making reservations. This is a small restaurant, with delicious food. I had a BBQ beef brisket sandwich with slaw, which was outstanding. My wife was impressed with the Portabella mushroom sandwich. We shared a bread pudding order for dessert. The bread pudding was the best we had ever had. This place is great!

• Visited May 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“Duck Confit Arugula Salad is YUMMERS”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We were very happy we had made a reservation for lunch - a friend who is a Charleston native recommended this place. On a cool and rainy day, this cozy dining room was a welcome escape. The indoor seating area is small, and if we hadn't had a reservation we would have been standing out on the porch waiting for a table. I loved this salad! My husband had the shrimp BLT, and that was tasty too. The server was friendly and attentive.

• Visited March 2013