“Definitely one of the best in Charleston” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cru Cafe

Cru Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Cru Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 895 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Located at 18 Pinckney Street, in a classic 18th century Charleston single-style home, Cru Café offers the best in upscale comfort food. Guests of the restaurant enjoy indoor and outdoor porch seating, gourmet comfort food, a wine list tailored to the varied menu and rich, satisfying desserts. It’s one of Charleston’s best kept secrets. Open for lunch and dinner Tuesday through Saturday.
Bluefield
“Definitely one of the best in Charleston”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Dinner there tonight, 5/2/13. Wife had. Black drum special and I the Thai seafood risotto. Both had a truffle mushroom soup. Everything was significantly above the quality of restaurants anywhere. Excellent friendly service, something missing from the other places we tried in Charleston. The dishes were perfection! Wonderful cacophony of favors, perfectly married, into a wonderful taste. Prices are moderate for Charleston. Would definitely go back!

Visited May 2013

Wilmington, North Carolina
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

after reading all the reviews we decide on Cru Cafe for dinner on our trip to Charleston and we are so glad we did! Loved the ceasar salad with creative crouton,both our seafood dishes were cooked to perfection and the service was excellent.Thanks for making our anniversary in Charleston a memorable trip!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Baltimore
“My favorite restaurant in Charleston”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

When we called for reservations they were booked for inside seating, but they did have an outdoor table available. As it was rain was predicted, we asked about other options. We were told if we arrived right at opening, they would find a place for us indoors. As soon as they opened, we were seated promptly in the bar area. Although the dining room looked lovely, the bar area was very interesting. As there is an opening between the bar & the kitchen area, you can watch the food being prepared.One of our diners ordered the fish, while I ordered the scallops & pasta. I'm not a pasta lover, but I do like seared scallops, so I thought I'd give it a try. Oh my -- everything about this dish was wonderful. The scallops were perfectly cooked, & the pasta was outstanding. Everyone in our party cleaned their plates. This was a meal that you wish you could eat more than once! To add to that, our service was excellent! This restaurant is slightly perfect, but worth every penny!

Visited April 2013
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Five Dots Well Deserved”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

"Seventy dollars for lunch and well worth every dime," I thought to myself as we picked over the last few crumbs of a delicious orange cake with white frosting, made by someone's grandmother, not too sweet, just right. And that from someone who hardly ever has desert, saving his appetite for starters/appetizers, which here at Cru Cafe today, consisted of a pile of perfectly done fried calamari piled high in a mix of Asian style slaw. Very different and very good. Prior to that was a nice glass of chardonnay, priced right and properly filled, brought to us by our absolutely terrific waitress, Fawn. Then we did a couple of sandwiches - panini style - and a cup of great tomato basil soup. All perfect. I'll bet that you can choose anything on the menu and be happy. But more than the food, which I say again was terrific, was the organization and flow of the place. We arrived right in the middle of rush hour and the place was packed and busy. People were arriving having made reservations. But in no time at all we were shown to two seats at a "communal table" and shortly thereafter Fawn appeared, followed in proper sequence and timing by everything we ordered. How the kitchen managed to do that was quite remarkable. We'll be back for dinner next, you can be sure.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
“Our best meal in Charleston!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I used tripadvisor to get some good ideas of where to eat on our vacation. I was disappointed with quite a few of the places we tried, but Cru Cafe was awesome! Our waiter John was great and very helpful. I ordered the shrimp pasta and it was the best meal I had in Charleston. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited April 2013