“Wonderful!”
Review of Cru Cafe

Cru Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Cru Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 951 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Located at 18 Pinckney Street, in a classic 18th century Charleston single-style home, Cru Café offers the best in upscale comfort food. Guests of the restaurant enjoy indoor and outdoor porch seating, gourmet comfort food, a wine list tailored to the varied menu and rich, satisfying desserts. It’s one of Charleston’s best kept secrets. Open for lunch and dinner Tuesday through Saturday.
Reviewed October 21, 2012

All was awesome, great staff, food incredible. Best bread pudding ever!! Just walked in and ate at "group" table nice conversation...will certainly recommend.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,540)

Reviewed October 20, 2012

First off, my complaints with Cru don't stem from the food quality—it's good. But, I'm a firm believer that a great restaurant is more than just good food—a combination of great service and cuisine. That's where Cru fails. On my most recent Charleston trip, I stopped by with my wife without a reservation and was treated very rudely. Granted, I'm not upset they didn't have a table—it's just the reaction of the host was so mean, so uncalled for that it really turned me off. Essentially, he made it sound like I was a moron to have the audacity to even step foot into the place without a reservation when all he simply had to do was politely turn me away. He also treated other customers—who had reservations—with an equal bad attitude. This place just reeks of a "we're-better-than-you" attitude and that really makes me cringe.

Go to Poogan's Porch instead.

1  Thank Ivan K
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

The food was good, service friendly. I just didn't like the atmosphere. Some people will definitely find it charming, but it wasn't for me. The place is tiny, maybe a dozen tables and a few more on the porch. We were seated at 9:30 for a 9:00 reservation, but it seemed to me that was because some people just wouldn't leave. Due to the tiny space, the tables were very close, and the 24 year-old girl next to us did not shut up once, even to breath. I know she was 24, she kept saying it. I know everything about her. There was no way for my husband and I to carry on a conversation with each other at this place. Again, good food, but no place for a relaxing quiet meal with your man. Very unique, never eaten at such a small place. Glad I did it, won't do it again though.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

This charming old home with a wrap around porch was the perfect place for our first dinner out in Charleston. We made reservations ahead and we were glad because it was busy. Fawn was our waitress and she could not have been more accomodating. I did not care for the bottle of wine my husband ordered. I ordered another wine by the glass and did not care for that either. She replaced it readily with a smile and no questions asked. I was surprised. The grilled swordfish entree was fantastic. Three of us had it and loved it. My mother in law had the salmon and really enjoyed it. I would highly recommend this restaurant and would definately go back.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Had a wonderful lunch on the porch with terrific service. The Mac and cheese( highly recommended ) lived up to it's reputation. Wraps and duck confit salad were excellent.