“Outstanding Presentation...Taste....and Service”
Review of Cru Cafe

Cru Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Cru Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Located at 18 Pinckney Street, in a classic 18th century Charleston single-style home, Cru Café offers the best in upscale comfort food. Guests of the restaurant enjoy indoor and outdoor porch seating, gourmet comfort food, a wine list tailored to the varied menu and rich, satisfying desserts. It’s one of Charleston’s best kept secrets. Open for lunch and dinner Tuesday through Saturday.
ohio
“Outstanding Presentation...Taste....and Service”
Reviewed July 7, 2011

I discovered Cru Cafe last year when visiting Charleston with my girl friends via Trip Advisor recommendations and we fell in love! The food was some of the BEST in Charleston....equisite tastes and visual appeal. I couldn't wait to introduce Cru to my family when we returned this summer....and it met and exceeded my hype! It was everyone's favorite meal of the entire trip! Do not leave out...the Chinese Chicken Salad...a fantastic blend of flavors...can't get enough. For a decadent indulgence the 4 cheese macaroni and cheese is a must, as well as, the fried onions....not rings but thinly sliced, perfectly coated crisps of onion heaven! Surely a summer special but a delicious ending was an orange ice box cake! The service was outstanding from our servers suggestions and attentiveness to the chef personally serving our appetizer right as it came off of the stove. Do not miss Cru for lunch or dinner...in fact....my recommendation....one of each during your visit!

2 Thank pbohio

Nashville, Tennessee
“Great food.... so so service.”
Reviewed July 2, 2011

In all fairness, the experience we had walking in the door probably tainted our opinion about Cru before the food ever had a chance to arrive at the table. I was with my mother and my 80 year old grandmother and we were made to stand a long while (no one else was waiting) while tables were cleared. No one seemed to care to find a seat for my elderly grandmother while we waited even though there were several tables available at the time. Finally the gentleman at the front simply waved into the other room saying "your table is ready". He then turned away, leaving us to literally guess which table he was referring to. We walked into the tiny dining room and there were several open tables. We just stood there confused for a moment. Finally, the server ( who was really sweet and offered us great service) saw our confusion and guided us to her table. The lack of interest or concern from the manager at the front of the restaurant was off-putting compared to how wonderful and attentive other restaurants had been on our visit.

Now... the food. Truly wonderful. That is the only reason I would return. Perhaps the manager had a bad day that day.... I would definitely try it again if I return to Charleston.

2 Thank KRBatten
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Excellent food, Friendly Staff, Great Experience”
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Cru Cafe was highly recommended to us as a great Charleston restaurant, loved by locals & visitors alike, and boy was it a great choice. We had a fairly late reservation (9pm) and had to wait a bit as it's a small venue and people tend to linger at the tables but it was well worth it. The staff was great and even picked up our appetizers due to us having to wait. That was an unexpected treat and really said a lot about the management's commitment to service. I certainly appreciated the kindness. The food was AMAZING! We truly enjoyed every single dish we ordered. Between us we had: Lamb Shank, Pork Tenderloin, Duck & Fish and there was not one speck of food left on anybody's plate by the end of our meal. Portions were generous without being ridiculously huge. We were stuffed but shared dessert (Flourless Chocolate Torte) and what can I say? I might have to return and order dessert first so I can have one of my very own! :-) Thanks to the Crew at the Cru Cafe...we'll definitely be returning at the soonest possible opportunity.

1 Thank BBBSTEPS
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Small Place - Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed June 25, 2011

This is a quaint place just outside the market area of downtown charleston, it is very small and cozy place. Definitely make reservation for your visit here! We had a slight small issues, the menu is great but unfortunately for us on a friday night the two entrees we wanted to order, they were out of for the evening. We did find something very tasty and the mussel appetizer is somehting special with a pepper sauce. Service is great!

• Visited January 2011
San Francisco CA
“We will go again!”
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We consider ourselves snobbish foodies from the San Francisco area. Our hotel recommended this small, off-the-beaten-path cafe per our profiled request. Although the food was delectable and made perfectly by the outstanding kitchen staff, (the roast duck, chicken mozzarella, squid salad appetizer, smoked pork and fried green tomatoes) the wait staff was not up to the quality and presentation of their food. However, when we return to Charleston, we will return to Cru for either lunch or dinner.

1 Thank browneyedbarbara