“Over-rated”

Gaulart & Maliclet French Cafe
Ranked #82 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: French, Cafe, European, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Birmingham, Alabama
“Over-rated”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Crowded at lunch (because it seems to be the only place to eat in that area.) Sandwich inedible both times we ate there. Very dry and the bread was like a brick.

Visited April 2013

Minnesota
“Wish we could have returned for dinner!”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

This crammed glorified lunch counter is located in a tiny 1730s building on Broad Street. Customers sit on high stools elbow-to elbow with to folks adjacent. But the food is worth. My husband had a "small" mixed green salad with the Provencal Sandwish (chevre, tapenade, and thin sliced tomatoes on baguette. I had the small fruit salad with melons, pineapple, raisins, and almonds, as well as the Croque Monsieur. Note that the "small salads are NOT tiny. Ingredients are very fresh. We were very pleased, and wished we could have come back for their dinner menu.

Visited October 2013
“Charming hidden gem!”
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Found this hidden gem while walking around historic Charleston. Perfect lunch spot; wish I had been able to return for dinner. Yes, it's small, but a fun opportunity to talk with natives & tourists alike. Best gazpacho I have ever had. Not many places offer FIVE homemade soups! Soup, smoked salmon & goat cheese was perfect.

Visited October 2013
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Extremely cramped and below average food”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My wife and I returned to Charleston from a cruise and stayed in town for a wedding. While driving around, we got hungry and finally spotted a place to park near this restaurant. Not having been there before, just thought we would give it a try. The place was packed (which was not hard to do because it was so small). As we walked to the back of the place, unavoidably bumping into people while they were eating on our way, we arrived at our "bar". we sat at a bar face to face across from two other gentleman. it was uncomfortable being that close. They even had difficulty getting out of their seats when they left it was so small. the bar space could not have been more than three feet wide (and I may be being generous). If it didn't have an open door at the back of the place, I would have been so claustrophobic, I wouldn't have stayed in there. My wife ordered a cold turkey and French cheese sandwich. I said that I would have the same thing with a salad. To my surprise, the waitress said I could not do that. After an awkward moment, I just said give me the same thing my wife ordered and asked if they had any sides available. To my surprise, she said "soup or salad". So I ordered a salad with it (which is what I had wanted to start with). Now to the food. Salad was just basic which is what I expected but the sandwich was very so so. Definitely not worth @ the $16 we paid for the total lunch. Bland taste and more bread than anything. Others seemed to be enjoying it so may just not have been my type of place, but for my wife and I, we would choose somewhere else next time.

• Visited September 2013
New York City, New York
“Basically worth the trip to Charleston”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I've visited Charleston several times over the past decade and I always make it a point to come here. It's a very unique café. Communal tables, somewhat disinterested servers, and supremely solid food make this a must visit. The daytime food is haute peasant, with a mix of nice breads, spreads, soups, open-faced sandwiches and fruits. The house wine is always serviceable, and the nice wines very nice. The evening meals are more savory. But really there's something about this place that's more than the sum of its parts, all at a very reasonable price. (Note: they're closed on Sunday and close after lunch on Mondays, so plan your visit accordingly!)

• Visited August 2013