“great meal”

Fulton Five
Ranked #67 of 947 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Fine dining Northern Italian restaurant located in Historic Downtown Charleston
Reviewed April 30, 2014

My wife and I decided to go to the Fulton Five after previously meeting one of the waiters (David Shaw).
We are newbies to the area and we were looking for somewhere to celebrate our anniversary. We have a "go to" back where we moved from and we get spoiled with good Italian food in the North end of Boston.
Anyway, upon arrival as you enter the restaurant, you take two steps to the hostess station, which is basically two steps from the bar. You take one step down and you are in the tiny dining area. The decor is very nice.
**caveat alert** as in our traditional North end dining establishments, we are use to being greeted by the aroma of garlic and fresh bread wafting from the buildings...not so here...bummer. It is said that you don't just eat with your mouth, the other senses MUST come into play.
We each ordered a glass of Castagnoli Chianti, very nice, fruity, smooth finish.
I opted for the Zuppa.Savory Mushroom Broth with Spicy Italian Sausage, Rapini, Sundried Tomato, and Lentils. I was NOT disappointed! This soup is a must try! There are so many flavors going on here, it was amazing.
My wife ordered the Orecchiette Aragosta. It was a wonderfully flavored Lobster, Crab, Snow Peas, Roasted Tomato, and Scallions in a Shellfish Cream sauce. FANTASTIC!
I ordered a daily pasta special of Lamb sausage, proscuitto, mushrooms, peas in a cream sauce over Orecchiette pasta. SUPERB. NOTE TO OWNERS....ADD THIS MEAL TO YOUR MENU!!!
The food at this establishment was very good!
The decor was average for an italian restaurant.
The place is very small. So, if you add a few people to the area coupled with the "after work" social drinkers at the bar, it gets really loud, really fast.
Our waiter "Fred" was very accommodating without being over bearing. Well done Fred.
I gave 4 out of 5 rating due to a few small things...noise level, lack of the "italian" aromas, and the bar being so close to a "formal" dining area. I think this establishment would be better served by ditching the bar and maybe adding a couple small tables or "high boy" tables in the vacated space.
Overall though, we really liked this place and we will be back!

1  Thank kpit70

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Impeccable service, excellent and imaginative food, great atmosphere. This is my new favorite Charleston restaurant. I just wish I had eaten there before this week. Will be back on our next visit.

1  Thank sadie7
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We were in Charleston for one night and ate here based on a friend's recommendation. We had a nice table by the window and each of us had a great meal. Reservations are a must here as the restaurant is small.

2  Thank Polly H
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We went here for a late supper last night (Saturday). I felt like we had returned to Tuscany..perfect ambiance. The service and wait staff reminded us of well above average European dining. We had an outstanding bottle of wine paired with scallops that were the best we've had since dining in Tokyo restaurants..extremely fresh and grilled to total perfection. The mixed seafood and pasta in a cream/tomato sauce was...again...perfection in a bowl..the pasta was al dente as true pasta lovers like and the seafood was ample and perfectly cooked. The tiramisu was desert utopia...extremely light and creamy at the same time...obviously freshly made in house . Did I mention this place is perfect?

1  Thank gene k
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We had an early dinner here on March 4 prior to a concert. This is a restaurant we have visited before and each time it is better. We enjoyed the bruschetta special followed by the grouper special and scallop dish off the menu. All were beyond delicious. The very best scallop dish ever and it is something I order regularly. A very attentive wait staff and management. They knew our schedule and made it work without a rush. This is a gem of a restaurant and a bit off the beaten path, but not to be missed. As someone pointed out, give yourself plenty of time for reservations and don't be surprised if you desired hour is gone by the time you connect. We called a day ahead with no problem.