“Below Average....”

Ranked #176 of 984 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: After working in the restaurant business for many years, Tommy opened his first restaurant in 1984. He has made his name by becoming one of Charleston's favorite local spots to serve up Lowcountry specialties such as shrimp and grits and fish and chips. Tommy runs the type of family-oriented establishment where people know their children are as welcome as they are. In fact, a children's menu has been specially prepared for "little leprechauns." In the months following Hurricane Hugo, Tommy made numerous trips to Ireland collecting exquisite antique mirrors and authentic Irish memorabilia that adorn his restaurant. He scoured the countryside and brought every pub mirror he could find. He laughs wryly about his massive shipping bills. The results are worth all his effort. The mirrors cast rich reflections, making the restaurant warm and inviting. Some mirrors are ornately detailed while others shimmer with simple elegance. You'll swear you've been transported to a pub shrouded in antiquity in Ireland's rambling countryside.The restaurant would not be complete without the sounds of Ireland. The background music is perfect. In the pub and bar area the "live" sounds of Ireland can be heard every Wednesday through Sunday nights. You can sit back and listen or join in singing an Irish-American sing-along. Tommy says it is wonderful to see whole families getting in on the fun at one table while at another sits a couple on a date and at yet another sits someone's grandparents remembering and laughing.
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This is the second time we have been here, the first being last year which we weren't very high on, but we thought since we were in the area and we were hungry, we would give it another try this time we're in town (Jan. 2013). Pretty big mistake....this place is just very dingy and dirty feeling, and I really want and try to make it work but it just doesn't do it for me. I ordered the "Bookmaker" which if you read it on the menu sounds very appetizing and great, but when it showed up with just some deli meat roast beef sliced on a huge loaf of bread (with no horse radish sauce mind you), I was very disappointed. The au jus sauce was decent enough, I guess. I got a side of the cheese dip sauce and ate about two bites worth of what tasted like kraft singles melted down and someone poured beer in it and stirred in up, disgusting really. My wife ordered a salad, kind of hard to screw up or be terrible so her's was ok she said. Oh and we tried the "Banger Tot's" from the appetizer menu, not too good to be honest. Just a fried block of potato, cheese and ground sausage mixed up deep fried covered in brown gravy probably made from a packet. I really regretted eating these because they looked terrible and weren't very good either, and made me feel terrible for eating them. Look, it wasn't the worst place in the world, but we won't ever be back. Two strikes and you're out in my book. I give it 2 stars because our waiter was nice enough, but pretty slow on the service. Food poor, feels ragged and run down. I've been to some real gems of Irish Pubs and this is not one.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,357)

Reviewed January 31, 2013

casual dining, good prices, quality food. always tables available and has outside dining. a good place for adults and kids.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We went on the recommendation of family. The only good part of the meal was the dessert. Service was spotty. We waited and waited for refills of tea and water. Food was mediocre at best. The spoon my wife received for her soup was encrusted with food. The Rueben I ordered was hard as a rock on one side and soggy on the plate side. For the prices they charge and the reviews by others, I expected much better. Needless to say, i will not put this restaurant on my places to return next trip to Charleston.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband had a burger and fries and it was very good. The shrimp in the shrimp and grits was below standards and pretty tasteless but the sauce and grits were really good. Good $1 mimosas for Sunday brunch.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This Irish bar and pub restaurant is near the downtown market. It has great atmosphere, and a good menu with lots of choices, including a long list of imported and domestic beers! I had fried oysters, which were excellent! They also have live music a couple nights a week! Great place!