“nice bar”
Review of Cypress - CLOSED

Cypress
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Corner of Queen & East Bay
madison wi
“nice bar”
Reviewed July 7, 2010

Stopped in for a cocktail after dining at Magnolia's. Nicely decorated restaurant. Would like to try dinner on our next trip.

Orlando, FL
“Low Country with Flair”
Reviewed June 28, 2010

If your familiary with Charleston, you will know that the Cypress, Magnolia, and Blossom are all owned by the same management compary and executive chef. However, each one couldn't be more different.

Cypress is certainly their flagship. We made same day, but late reservations which was perfect. We arrived an hour early and enjoyed a drink at the upstairs bar. The restaurant is two story, with a modern decor inside historic shell of a building. But, the atmosphere was lively, and with an open kitchen, you definitely knew they were serious about their cooking.

The drink selection was enjoyable, but I have to question the wine list a bit. While a diverse wine selection is important, Cypress' was almost over bearing. With three full pages, it certainly is extremely daunting for a potential novice.

The food was low country, but with extreme flair. I have to commend the executive chef for using almost 100% local grown or caught produce. I had the blue cheese wedge while my wife had the lobster bisque. Fresh doesn't even explain how good they were.

For dinner my wife tried the Ratatouille and I had the Ahi Tuna. The Ratatouille was good, although needed something to add a bit of something to it. The tuna came highly recommended. It was wrapped in a wasabi and wrapped in puff pastry. It was lightly fried which gave it a great crust. I know that some people love their ahi tuna extremely raw, but i prefer it a little more cooked. I was extremely impressed with how well mine was prepared.

We decided to share the vanilla bean creme brulee...as well as a cup of coffee.

The service was really good. We never needed anything. Overall this was a great place for a special dinner. I would give the value only three stars due to the fact that I think while the food was great, it was priced for the atmosphere a bit more than I liked.

Would definitely go back.

Knoxville, TN
“Our Favorite All-Time Restaurant”
Reviewed June 22, 2010

You simply must try the Lobster Bisque and have the tableside Caesar Salad. Never had anything less than wonderful in this restaurant. Loved the service, loved the atmosphere. Just thinking about this place makes me want to go back to Charleston. Great for a romantic evening!

1 Thank Knoxville_Knut
atlanta
“Not all it's cracked up to be.... but great atmosphere!”
Reviewed June 14, 2010

Visited recently and had the snapper. The fish itself was delicious. However, the "seasonal veggies" that came with it were downright gross. Sometype of corn/radish combo that was cold. NOT GOOD! Great atmosphere and average service. Wouldn't visit again. I will say the bread served at the table was DELICIOUS! Just overall not that impressed.

Columbia, SC
“Wonderful!!”
Reviewed June 8, 2010

We haven't been in several years, but it is still as good as we remembered. The Chateaubriand for 2 is excellent as was the butter lettuce salad with bacon jam! The nutella cheesecake sounded too good to pass up and it was worth it. Atmosphere is great, especially the bar upstairs. Will keep going back and recommending this restaurant to everyone we know.

1 Thank hugo-phoebe