“Our Favorite Restaurant on our Trip”
Review of Cypress - CLOSED

Cypress
Cuisines: European
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Corner of Queen & East Bay
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Oh my gosh, we went everywhere in Charleston and luckily on our last night our concierge suggested Cypress. It had the coolest bar. The spreadable salami was amazing. We are foodies, so we are a bit picky and this place blew us away!! Our entrees were the Korean ribs (amazing) and my husband had some kind of fish that he raved about for weeks. Go here, you will not regret it.

1  Thank Mary T

Reviewed July 6, 2014

There are so many truly fine restaurants in Charleston it can be hard to pick when we make our
annual visit but we are never disappointed with Cypress (or for that matter the adjacent sister restaurants - Blossom and Magnolias). We love the classic Low Country style of several of the
South's best restaurants that you can find in Charleston - but we like that Cypress has both new
and old style haute cuisine and down-home cooking' too. The Lobster, Scallops, Shrimp Grits are
the epitome of classic yet contemporary because most restaurants will have Shrimp Grits but not
all three … perfectly prepared … although not always on the menu. The Rack of Lamb and the
Chateaubriand are also superb. The service is impeccable and the wine selection unsurpassed in
Charleston. Cypress featured a "Wine Wall" before wine walls were cool.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

We hadn't been to Cypress in a while and, we will not let so much time pass before we come back again. This restaurant defines what fine dining should be in Charleston. The atmosphere exudes class without being too stuffy. We had a group of six and, unlike some other supposedly great restaurants in the area, we could actually converse without shouting. To cite an example of their impeccable service, one our group ordered a bottle of wine that they no longer had in stock. No problem, one of the servers ran over to one of their sister restaurants to bring the desired bottle in just a few minutes. We ordered various dishes and everyone's meal was outstanding. The rudder fish stew special that I had was amazing, as were the various starters and mouth watering desserts.
Do not miss going upstairs to the bar. It is small, but well worth the climb.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

We ate here on Christmas night. The restaurant is very nice but I immediately noticed that our server seemed very relaxed and took a lot of time speaking to us despite the full house. At first I thought it pretty nice not to have a frantic server. I ordered the pork chop (and got what I deserved) and my wife ordered the Steak Diane, medium-well. We also ordered a bottle of wine from their rather pricey wine list. The server brought the wine glasses to the table. While we waited for the wine I noticed our server at a nearby table talking to 2 diners. After a few minutes of waiting my wife decided to powder her nose. When she returned the server was still speaking to the same people. A few more minutes went by and the server realized she had not yet brought us the wine and, as she went to get it, our dinners were served. She returned with the wine but was not able to open it and had to take it into the kitchen. We decided to start eating without the wine and my wife realized she had been served a very rare steak. The manager finally returned with our wine. He was immediately handed the rare steak and sent back to the kitchen.

In the server's defense, the wine we ordered did have a very tough cork wrap. But had the server not wasted so much time at the other table there would have been plenty of time to deal with our wine. If the server had been really busy I would not have been bothered by the problems. Cypress has a 2 story wine cellar for all to admire and their wine list is presented on an iPad which is a great way to select a wine. That said, the wine problems seem odd.

Even though the manager comped my wife's meal it could not make up for the pretty dissappointing evening. Would I return?….probably not.

1  Thank Tropicalfire
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Service, atmosphere, and great food; you can't make a bad choice. We ate at Magnolia's(sister restaurant) years ago, and feel this menu is comparable, with a slightly different menu. Dinner for two is pricey, and worth every penny.Great meat and seafood choices. Dress smartly

1  Thank markmena