“Nice Evening at Cypress”

Cypress - A Lowcountry Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Cypress - A Lowcountry Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 898 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Corner of Queen & East Bay
Atlanta
“Nice Evening at Cypress”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Cypress was a good choice for our first night in Charleston. The space is very attractive, the service excellent and the food was very good. Although the lobster bisque was not as creamy as I would have liked, that is a matter of personal taste and not a criticism of the restaurant. Everything else was delicious. There is an extensive wine list with the bottles displayed on a three-story wine rack.

Visited June 2013

Pine Grove, Pennsylvania
“Very good food, great service”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Very comfortable dining with very friendly staff. Very good food and great cocktails. Try the Mule.
Seven of us had different entres and all were very good. My filet was just a bit on the salty side but done to perfection. I'd return in a minute.

Kansas City, Missouri
“Outstanding food/service”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Upscale decor and food -- a very hip restaurant, but it was fine that we weren't all dressed up. This is a pricey place, but the portions were good and the food beautifully presented and all great.

Visited May 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
“Not Always Great”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

On a night with torrential rain, a mostly empty dining room, and before 8 my date and I had a dinner that left me feeling aggravated and disappointed. I am usually a fan of Cypress, so it was extremely frustrating that the filet of beef I ordered wasn't properly cooked and the offer was to refire it, not replace it. I kept eating and found it to be raw, not merely rarer than desired and then called the waiter over to state it was too raw, not even seared in one part. He again offered to have it recooked, and though I was hesitant to send what was now a small piece of meat back to the kitchen- thinking it was sure to be overdone, I said okay. No offer was made to replace it, but I did say maybe I'd order something else, but didn't since my date's meal would've been finished. I had to ask for cutlery, which had been removed with my plate, so I could share some of my date's dinner. At this point the manager was dealing with us, and he never offered complimentary anything for the inconvenience. Meanwhile, the waiter never returned and we were left to pour our own wine, and ask the manager for salt and pepper. The filet still wasn't well prepared, but I ate it anyway as my date had finished his meal. When the waiter brought the dessert menu, and I said I didn't want anything (since I didn't enjoy my meal) he immediately came back and put the check on the table, unrequested, while we were still drinking our wine. The filet was on the bill, I put my credit card in the folder and then told the waiter I thought it was rude of him to bring the check unasked, maybe we wanted coffee or an after dinner drink. He thenTHREW the credit card on the table, at which point I said forget it, just take it. On the way out I told the manager how displeased I was, and that I eat there regularly; he offered me a gift card for the "cost of your meal." Then he gave me a
$50 gift card, which would cover my entree, not the meal with wine, tax and tip. I made a face and he then backpedaled and said I could get an appetizer and a drink! Not the way to win over people who experienced both bad food and service.
By the way, the filet in "jus" was actually in a bowl of broth, yuck!

Roswell Ga
“Spent more than I would like but yummy”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

If you are looking for a fancier atmosphere and good food this is the spot. The fish was outstanding as were the app's. Just more expensive than we wanted. But the very best of all was the Cucumber Mojitos!!!! A must try if you are adventurous in taste. Probably what made our bill so high but OH SO GOOD!!!!