“Better than previous visits”

Charleston Crab House-James Island
Ranked #89 of 947 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children, Business meetings
Neighborhood: James Island
Description: Water front dining ---"Southern seafood and a Darn Good Time".
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I have eaten at this Crab House on several occasions and the quality of food had varied. This trip was an excellent experience. The broiled shrimp was good but could have used more garlic for my taste. We also tried the shrimp and grits and it was also very good. We also had a combo platter including crab legs with shrimp and it was excellent. Of course, the Crab House hush puppies can't be beat. The view is also very nice since the restaurant is on the Wappoo River. They even have a dock for diners to arrive by boat.

1  Thank all4funsites
Write a ReviewReviews (1,018)

Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I are here in Charleston for vacation and we found this restaurant here on Trip Advisor. We found the service to be tops because our server Sydney is a pro and friendly as can be. I had the snapper prepared specially and my wife had grilled shrimp. Beautiful location and a short wait. Highly recommended. PS..I reserve 5/5 for the very best...this is very good for sure. We are going back.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

My parents and I,finally, just visited the crab house while they were down helping me move. I had heard that the crab house was a great place to be, great food, with a great view. Our server, a close friend, Rebekah Norman, has been working there for several months and set aside the beautiful view, the outdoor seating by the water, the amazing shrimp and grits and crazy, fantastic hush puppies to start out with, Rebekah was a fantastic server. She is one of the sweetest people I know and I have actually never been to a place she has waitressed at before. She is on top of things, always asking if you need something, making sure the food is the best it could be, and was very attentive to my families needs. She has been serving quite a while, but her attitude and her bright, loving personality shines when she serves. She is concerned with remarkable customer service and pleasing those who visit. The Crab House is definitely somewhere we will go again and a place I will recommend for sure.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

After hours office meeting to say good bye to a great employee that is going into the armed services. Large group and it was "no problem",

Reviewed May 3, 2014

I recently visited this restaurant on Saturday, May 3, 2014 @ approximately 2:00 PM. We are no strangers to this restaurant, as we have been here many times before. We asked to be seated on the outside deck, as the weather was nice. Our waitress came over a short time later to take our drink order, we asked if we could order as we knew what we wanted. She took our order, I order 1/4 Lb. of peel and eat shrimp, and tea, my friend told the waitress he would like the same with a coke. She looks at him and asks " the shrimp?" He replied he did. She leaves and returns shortly with the drinks and walks off. She never asked whether we would care for hushpuppies, which we knew they served, complimentary, & saw other servers bringing to their customers. She finally returns with our shrimp, I requested them and a glass of ice. She returns with the ice, then maybe 5-7 mn. later with the hushpuppies. We receive our shrimp, there were 7 Shrimp. ONLY 7 shrimp. This meal cost us $7.99 each. This averages out to $1.14 apiece. This is a ridiculous amount to pay. I was very disappointed in this, as I have had this many times before. I have never received that few shrimp! I am not sure we will ever return here, which is a big disappointment, as we have enjoyed eating here and the lovely views!!!

1  Thank Cynthia R