“Very Good Food and Great Location”

Charleston Crab House-James Island
Ranked #89 of 947 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children, Business meetings
Neighborhood: James Island
Description: Water front dining ---"Southern seafood and a Darn Good Time".
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the Charleston Crab House. It has a great location on the waterfront and we could see boats coming and going down the river and even got to see the drawbridge raised for a huge sailboat. We nibbled on our hushpuppies which were delicious while we enjoyed our view. Hubby got red snapper and I got crab cakes. We were both very pleased with our selections and would order it again. The coleslaw was some of the best I've had and I order coleslaw with most of my meals. We both got the she crab soup and it was good, not great, but good. It seemed a little heavy on the mace or nutmeg and it was not quite served hot enough. I know with the cream in it, it can't be served extremely hot, but this was just a little too cool. Overall, a good experience and we will do it again when in the area.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,018)

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stopped by as part of a large group so had a limited menu, but most of us thought that the chef had served us from some below standard secret menu. The very small salad consisted of wilted lettuce and not much more. Our server never brought us hush puppies, so I had to ask for them. These turned out to be the best part of dinner, although they were a bit greasy. My crab cake was mostly filler and had only one or two pieces of discernable crab. The green beans came from a can and were as tepid as the red rice which did not have much taste. My husband had the fried flounder and shrimp and found them very standard, with very skimpy pieces of fish. When we ordered coffee and hot tea, we were told that they had run out of tea bags. Perhaps someone could have stopped at Publix on the way in to work that day. My husband said that the coffee tasted like instant and not freshly brewed. The key lime pie was also nothing special, and looked store bought. Very disappointing, except that the setting was beautiful, overlooking the St. James River. It's too bad that the food didn't measure up.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

My husband and I were in Charleston for our first night and just stumbled upon this place while trying to get to another restaurant. I am a huge crab lover so we figured we would give it a try! We sat right at the window and it was a great setting. Chrissy our servwr was top notch. Her honesty about the menu and recommendations were spot on. She was very attentive but not overly making our dinner experience perfect. They were out of the blue crab due to the weather/wind . I was a little bummed but the low country boil was fabulous. They she crab soup was amazing, the hush puppies are addictive and the pumpkin spice cheesecake was great. I would definitely go back for the service and food!

Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

What a great location! Out server Chrissy had us wowed with her knowledge of the menu. They were out of the blue crab on our night but she gave us the reason why. It was not just because they were out but because of the weather and other factors. The Shrimp and grits were just right for a cool November evening and the pumpkin spice cheesecake was excellent. All in all it was Chrissy that made the evening with the service!!!

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We ate at the Charleston Crab House with a busload of people visiting Charleston and Savannah. The Crab House staff was very nice and accommodating. The food was average. I had the Chicken Fettuchini, not a typical seafood dish, but it was good. My wife had the shrimp and flounder and complained that the flounder was not fresh. Others at our table had the crab cake reportedly very good and the shrimp and grits, also good, The key lime pie for dessert was very good. The restaurant is clean and overlooks a creek; nice view. We visited AW Shucks the night before and I would say the Crab House was the better choice.