“Good Food, Great View”

Charleston Crab House-James Island
Ranked #138 of 967 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Large groups
Neighborhood: James Island
Description: Water front dining ---"Southern seafood and a Darn Good Time".
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Went for lunch with my wife, two daughters and grandson. The view of the river and boats helped entertain my grandson. I thought the hushpuppies were very good. I had the Shrimp and Grits. While it couldn't compare to the Shrimp and Grits at Slightly North of Broad, they were very good. I couldn't finish the dish and it even tasted good microwaved later that night. Waitstaff was very attentive.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,033)

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We went recently with a large group. They were friendly, organized and the food was excellent. We were impressed with their prompt delivery of appetizers, drinks and entrees. It was a perfect place for a group of visitors to sample the local seafood. The restaurant has a view of the river which was also nice. Plenty of parking was also a plus.

The prices were very reasonable and the portions were generous. We would definitely go back!

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We are locals and out of town guest usually want to eat here, The view can't be beat. The food is very good. If you are boaters there is a dock you can pull up to. Service good. The Buffalo oysters and crab dip are awesome apps. The fried seafood is some of the best in Charleston. I prefer mine grilled and theirs is good, The Shrimp and grits are good

Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I used to love eating here. We visit Charleston every year and could not wait for their hush puppies and shrimp! Last night was awful. We arrived around 8:30pm and there was hardly anyone there which should have been a clue. In years past we have always had a wait. Our waitress was quite indifferent to us and we have always had "bubbly" & friendly servers. Oh well, we were there for the food, right? We both ordered the fried shrimp with 2 sides for $17.99. We both ordered the smashed potatoes and cole slaw and had sweet tea. My husband also ordered a cup of She Crab Soup for $4.79. We were given 6 or 8 hush puppies in a large basket (funny) and we could see the grease dripping on the paper in the basket! We rolled them in our table napkin to absorb more of the grease. The taste??? Not like in years past. I asked the waitress if they had been refried to make them appear hot and she looked quite offended. I explained the outside of them was tough and the inside "doughy"/"gummy". She said, "No, they just came out of the fryer" and walked off. NOT EVEN, "I am sorry you are disappointed." The food? Our shrimp was okay and it was at least hot. I looked down at what I thought was a cheese biscuit and started to pick it up only to realize it was the smashed potatoes which were not even lukewarm!!!! The cole slaw was only average at best. The iced tea was so weak I did not even want a refill. The total of this horrible meal was $50.11 EXCLUDING tax. We knocked $1.00 off her tip because of her hoity-toity attitude. So, a total of $57.11 for barely mediocre food. Now we have to find another favorite seafood restaurant in Charleston for our annual visits.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

The view of the water was very nice, and the service was good. unfortunately, the food was just okay. My husband and I decided we were just too used to really good seafood, so this restaurant just didn't quite deliver.