“Great Food”
Review of Peninsula Grill

Reserve with OpenTable
Peninsula Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 933 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Meeting Street
Description: Located in the very heart of Charleston's famed Historic District, this AAA Four-Diamond restaurant has been recognized by Departures, Conde Nast Traveler, Food & Wine, The New York Times, Southern Living, Travel + Leisure, Wine Spectator, and others for serving the finest and freshest ingredients sourced locally and globally. With velvet-lined walls in shimmering oyster tones, woven seagrass, and indigenous cypress, the Peninsula Grill Dining Room ambiance is supper club sumptuousness. The Peninsula Grill Champagne Bar is an intimate jewel box space that offers several outstanding champagnes by the glass and a delicious bar menu. The lush Peninsula Grill Courtyard is one of the Charleston's true hidden gems and the most romantic al fresco dining setting in the city. Peninsula Grill also offers private dining. Peninsula Grill is a proud member of Relais & Chateaux, an exclusive collection of restaurants and hotels in romantic destinations around the world. Business casual attire.
Reviewed April 19, 2014

The food was so good. When the food was ready, all seven of our group was served at the same time by multiple wait staff. The coconut 8 layer cake is to die for.

Planters_Inn, General Manager at Peninsula Grill, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Peninsula Grill has long set the standard for service in Charleston. While dining it is evident through the orchestration of the staff that the service staff at Peninsula Grill is a collection of passionate professionals. We take pride in our service and in Chef Graham Dailey's cuisine. Thank you for dining with us. We look forward to your return.

There are newer reviews for Peninsula Grill

Reviewed April 18, 2014

The Peninsula Grill was a lovely evening with a very nice Prosecco, 1 Doz oysters and Duck that was cooked to perfection. I asked for rare and so it was with an indescribably delicious sauce. My dinner was accompanied by an excellent Rioja.

My husband started with a Beefeater G & T.. His Mushroom Bisque was the only disappointment. I can't remember but I think Morel was part of the bisque. Whatever, our waitress agreed, powdered morel (?)must have been used . The bisque lacked depth of flavor and had a grainy texture. Hence my reason for not giving the dinner an 'excellent' rating.
the Grouper was delicious as was the 'Extravaganza' (dessert). Our waitress Tifffany was attentive and very nice.. Despite the Bisque (shows they are human) For a totally delicious and delightful evening by all means go to Peninsula Grill. It's a MUST!

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your experience at Peninsula Grill so very much. I am sorry that the Mushroom Bisque was not to your liking. It is a very unique bisque that does not rely on the use of heavy cream and butter to create it's rich texture and flavor. Although we did not receive an "excellent" rating from your initial visit I am confident that when you return we will earn you r perfect rating and become a favorite stop of yours when you visit Charleston.

Best,

Reviewed April 17, 2014

Dinner is located in a cozy, nice hotel. My husband loved his fish dinner. I was less impressed by my duck dinner. The coconut cake I brought home to the hotel is their famous dessert. It was too coconutty for me, but if you like coconut, you will love it. The service is excellent. Atmosphere is nice. Make reservations ahead. It is busy.

I am sorry that the Muscovy Duck Breast failed to be a favorite of yours from Chef Graham Dailey's menu. The Ultimate Coconut Cake is definitely a dessert created for coconut lovers. With 14 layers alternating between sponge cake and Coconut butter cream as well as a coconut anglaise and toasted coconut. it is decadently coconutty. If you are searching for am amazing alternative the Banana Panna Cota is by far the staff favorite. I hope that you and your husband find the time to return to Peninsula Grill.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

The Peninsula Grill offers a creative menu, a very nice wine list and a beautifully elegant setting. We have never been disappointed; although, their signature Coconut Cake was not quite up to par the last time we ordered it. Otherwise, this is definitely one of the best restaurants in Charleston!

Thank you for your wonderful review of Peninsula Grill and your continued support. From your review I gather that you have been a frequent visitor to Charleston and have long been a fan of Peninsula Grill and our Ultimate Coconut Cake. I am sorry that on this visit the cake was a bit of a disappointment. With Pastry Chef Claire Chapman and her team producing over 10 cakes a day to keep up with the demand of service it would not be for a lack of freshness. i hope that you will try another slice on your next visit and please report to me if it isn't perfect.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

You simply must sit outside if the weather permits because it is the most beautiful dining spot in the city. The gas lanterns, and the candles just make it the sweetest moment. And I had dinner with my Momma! So that is really saying something. The waiter was kind and fabulous, and food was perfect and wonderful. And the desserts were creative and amazingly decadent. Have a side car! Have the banana/peanut butter/chocolate dessert. You will not be disappointed by this restaurant!

Thank you for your amazing review and the shameless promotion that you have graciously given our al fresco dining. Peninsula Grill's courtyard is a wonderful place to relax and enjoy Chef Graham Dailey's cuisine after touring our amazing city. The combination of Courtyard Dining, our cuisine and our professional service has made Peninsula Grill the place to dine in Charleston. We look forward to your next visit.