“Special evening dining”
Review of Peninsula Grill

Reserve with OpenTable
Peninsula Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Meeting Street
Description: Located in the very heart of Charleston's famed Historic District, this AAA Four-Diamond restaurant has been recognized by Departures, Conde Nast Traveler, Food & Wine, The New York Times, Southern Living, Travel + Leisure, Wine Spectator, and others for serving the finest and freshest ingredients sourced locally and globally. With velvet-lined walls in shimmering oyster tones, woven seagrass, and indigenous cypress, the Peninsula Grill Dining Room ambiance is supper club sumptuousness. The Peninsula Grill Champagne Bar is an intimate jewel box space that offers several outstanding champagnes by the glass and a delicious bar menu. The lush Peninsula Grill Courtyard is one of the Charleston's true hidden gems and the most romantic al fresco dining setting in the city. Peninsula Grill also offers private dining. Peninsula Grill is a proud member of Relais & Chateaux, an exclusive collection of restaurants and hotels in romantic destinations around the world. Business casual attire.
Charleston, South Carolina
“Special evening dining”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

The service and food here is always great. I try different entrees each time and have always thought the food and presentation were excellent.
I prefer to eat fish when I am out for supper and it is always fabulous. For dessert, it is the coconut cake!!! I make sure that I have saved room for it.
Their wine list is very good.

• Visited August 2013
Planters_Inn, General Manager at Peninsula Grill, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you for your continued support of Peninsula Grill. Due to the quality of Chef Graham Dailey's menu and the service of our longstanding professional staff Peninsula Grill is the destination to dine in Charleston. We are always happy to recognize returning guests that make Peninsula Grill a focal point of their visits to Charleston. We are honored by your loyalty and your wonderful review. We look forward to continuing to serve you.

General Manager /Sommelier

Houston, Texas
“Great Steak”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

When in Charleston there are lots of great choices for dinner, this is one of them. The steak was very good and I was in a large group. Even the service was excellent, touches like service of the entire table at once, real class.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank irbflyfish
Thank you for your visit and review of your experience at Peninsula Grill. We do offer dining for a few large parties in our dining room every night. We also offer two Private Dining rooms where Chef Dailey and his staff offer Peninsula Grill's award winning fare paired with the professional service that Peninsula has become famous for. We look forward to serving you again.

General Manager /Sommelier
orlando
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I would not miss this experience if you come to Charleston.”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

One word... UNBELIEVABLE! My husband I will always visit this restaurant when we decide to come. Not only did the atmosphere made us feel phenomenal the FOOD really impressed us. Jonathan was our server who was absolutely wonderful. We took our time and he aloud is to enjoy every minute. Shawn and Nolan where the chefs and I have never tasted trout like I did tonight. Beyond amazing and the way it was prepared I will never forget. We have eaten at other steak restaurants and my husband had the filet... WOW! The Taste! Very good from the bread to the dessert! PLEASE come and enjoy a fabulous night. We will be back and will enjoy this experience over and over. Special thanks to ryan who brought us THE perfect wine for our evening.
Thank you to all. See you soon.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank linzstar42
Thank you for such a wonderful review. I am thrilled that you and your husband chose Peninsula Grill to celebrate his birthday while visiting Charleston. Thank you for mentioning Nolan and Shawn. Chef Graham Dailey and his staff strive to make each dish perfectly to represent the amazing flavors of each ingredient. The Carolina Trout showcases the delicate fish with Jumbo Lump Crab and shaved Brussels Sprouts. Jonathan and the rest of our professional staff strives to make each experience at Peninsula Grill unique. We hope that as you are leave Peninsula Grill you start to imagine your next visit. It was a pleasure serving you.

Relais & Chateaux
“Can not say enough good things about this restaurant!”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Best meal we have had in years. Excellent service. Knew gluten free and had warm GF rolls for the 2 of us in our large group of 2 tables of 8. Oyster stew on grits was to die for! Sirloin au poivre was exquisite. Never felt rushed....coconut cake was thoroughly enjoyed by my friend that can eat that stuff. We would have returned there the next night but couldn't get a reservation until 10p. Very busy but well staffed. Friendly staff. Great downtown location. If I ever go back to Charleston, I will definitely go to the Peninsula Grill.

Visited February 2014
Planters_Inn, General Manager at Peninsula Grill, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review. At Peninsula Grill we pride ourselves in our professionalism and passion. We understand that our guests will occasionally have dietary restrictions and needs. We do our best to accommodate those needs and when possible find small ways to make those guests feel special. Our gluten free bread and gluten free dessert are just two small examples. Thank you for your compliments. We look forward to serving you again.

Best,

Charleston, South Carolina
“good not great”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

this is from a handful of months back, so take it for that.. my parents came from out of town for my birthday, and my mother being how she is decided to make a reservation for me here lol. i blame the coconut cake, and whatever show she saw it on, women... personally i would have chosen Halls, Circa, McCrady's, or maybe The Grocery.. but since i hadn't been here yet i let her do her thing.. i could just tell certain things were amiss that night, timing was off and i definitely noticed the manager was overly attentive and compensating for some miscues by the wait staff, nothing major just not fluid for a restaurant of this caliber .

For the food i went with the lobster "3 way" which i wouldn't mind having again, wonderful. then the first course menu, is lacking in protein- so i was stuck going with the lobster & corn chowder which after the two courses and their rich sauces, seemed a bit too much on the stomach.. a gamier option as a first course would be nice.. as to move from that to seafood for the entree is my favorite and vice versa. well since i was lobstered out i decided to go with the center cut filet.. (after debating on the duck, trout, and rib eye) and was not wowed at all.. it wasn't hot nor did my knife effortlessly glide through it like some better prepared filets ive had.. i could taste the quality in the meat, but i wouldn't get steak from here.. and finished with the coconut cake, which was .. pretty good and big, but more for sharing so you can get some chocolate desert also.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Koy M
Planters_Inn, General Manager at Peninsula Grill, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Thank you for your visit and review of Peninsula Grill. I am sorry that you didn't have the experience that so many Charlestonians and visitors to our city rave about. We pride ourselves on having impeccable service and a staff passionate about the hospitality that has made us famous. Chef Graham Dailey's menu has quite a few options other than the Lobster Corn Chowder that you choose after the Lobster "3 ways". Personally I would have been torn between the Steak Tartare, Seared Foie Gras and the Sweetbreads. I hope that you take the opportunity to dine at Peninsula Grill in the future. We look forward to serving you again.

Best,