“Very nice, quiet, upscale restaurant”
Review of Peninsula Grill

Reserve with OpenTable
Peninsula Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Meeting Street
Description: Located in the very heart of Charleston's famed Historic District, this AAA Four-Diamond restaurant has been recognized by Departures, Conde Nast Traveler, Food & Wine, The New York Times, Southern Living, Travel + Leisure, Wine Spectator, and others for serving the finest and freshest ingredients sourced locally and globally. With velvet-lined walls in shimmering oyster tones, woven seagrass, and indigenous cypress, the Peninsula Grill Dining Room ambiance is supper club sumptuousness. The Peninsula Grill Champagne Bar is an intimate jewel box space that offers several outstanding champagnes by the glass and a delicious bar menu. The lush Peninsula Grill Courtyard is one of the Charleston's true hidden gems and the most romantic al fresco dining setting in the city. Peninsula Grill also offers private dining. Peninsula Grill is a proud member of Relais & Chateaux, an exclusive collection of restaurants and hotels in romantic destinations around the world. Business casual attire.
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
“Very nice, quiet, upscale restaurant”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I was surprised how quiet this restaurant was. It is an upscale restaurant (dress pants, definitely not jeans) with excellent service. The waitress I had was very friendly and did a great job. Atmosphere was intimate due to the quietness and dim lighting, even though your in a room of diners. I had the oyster sampler for appetizer and wasn't thrilled at all. My main course was the sea scallops, which were great. The meal was extremely filling so I got the much-raved coconut cake to go. Let me tell you, the coconut cake was $10 and huge!! Definitely not for one person. Delicious though. I had a glass of wine, oysters, scallops, cake and my bill was $100. Although it was good, if I went again I'd just get the coconut cake or try another dessert (to go). I didn't walk away thinking "Oh my gosh, I want to eat there again!" For $100 I want to really love it.

• Visited October 2013
Thank luvthecarribean!
Planters_Inn, General Manager at Peninsula Grill, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent visit to Peninsula Grill. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your evening so much and that you found our Ultimate Coconut Cake to be so wonderful. I too am a huge fan of Chef Dailey's Scallops. We look forward to serving you on your next visit to Charleston.

Saint Simons Island, Georgia
“"Relais et Chateau"”
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Enough said and worthy of the logo!
The only restaurant we visited that didn't use the same ingredients as all the others!

We proudly fly our Relais & Chateaux flag. Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience. We look forward to serving you again.

Atlanta, Georgia
“Not To Be Missed”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We were fortunate to walk in on a Sunday night and get a fabulous table in the corner at 8:30.The restaurant was packed with couples and families. The 3-Way Lobster appetizer and NY Strip melted in your mouth. Leave room for dessert. Their famous coconut cake is not to be missed!

• Visited November 2013
Planters_Inn, General Manager at Peninsula Grill, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for your visit and your review. I am thrilled that you were able to "walk -in" and have such a wonderful experience. Chef Dailey and his staff prepare a menu full of amazing selections. We source the best ingredients and concentrate on showcasing their quality. It is evident in every bite. We look forward to your next visit.

Tampa
“Fine dining - excellent service and very good food”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

You definitely can't go wrong with this place. It's a solid, upscale restaurant with no surprises. The "no surprises" might be a good thing or a bad thing depending what you like (or don't). I can't say the kitchen was blossoming with creativity, as evidenced by the staid and predictable menu and my wife's vegetarian plate, but my duck was excellent as was the lobster trio appetizer. (For creativity, try FIG which is down the street.) Chefs who aren't lazy or uninspired can do some great things with a vegetarian request...but Wife got a plate of vegetables, some of which were grilled. How exciting. Desserts were definitely good and creative, especially the "banana pudding," which was as tasty as it was beautiful.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank tsmayda
Thank you for your review of Peninsula Grill. I am thrilled that you and your wife had a wonderful time. I do apologize for the lack of surprise in your wife's vegetarian selection. We feature and are very proud of our locally grown produce. Ambrose Farms, Geechie Boy Farm, and Blackbird Farms provide us daily with the best produce that can be found. We choose to highlight the freshness and taste of these items in our Vegetable Plate which is one of our vegetarian options. We choose not to mask the flavors of these items in heavy sauces or hide them in a pasta. Chef Dailey and his staff often create a custom vegetarian dish upon request, however the fresh local Vegetable Plate is ordered more often than not because it is a true representation of the best produce from South Carolina. Thank you for your visit.

Sevierville, TN
“One of my favorite Charleston restaurants”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I took my wife to Peninsula Grill for her birthday and called ahead to request a special desert for her. The staff could not have been more courteous and helpful. We had dinner outdoors In a very quiet and romantic candlelit courtyard. The food was superb and the service outstanding. Great wine list at very reasonable prices. Overall this was one of my favorite Charleston restaurants. I recommend it as a great choice for special occasions.

• Visited October 2013
Thank you for choosing Peninsula Grill to celebrate your wife's birthday. I am thrilled that we were able to help you make the celebration special for her. The al Fresco dining, amazing service and Chef Graham Dailey's food all combined for a truly memorable night. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.