“Excellent, consistent service! The ABSOLUTE BEST COCONUT CAKE EVER!”
Review of Peninsula Grill

Reserve with OpenTable
Peninsula Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 966 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Meeting Street
Description: Located in the very heart of Charleston's famed Historic District, this AAA Four-Diamond restaurant has been recognized by Departures, Conde Nast Traveler, Food & Wine, The New York Times, Southern Living, Travel + Leisure, Wine Spectator, and others for serving the finest and freshest ingredients sourced locally and globally. With velvet-lined walls in shimmering oyster tones, woven seagrass, and indigenous cypress, the Peninsula Grill Dining Room ambiance is supper club sumptuousness. The Peninsula Grill Champagne Bar is an intimate jewel box space that offers several outstanding champagnes by the glass and a delicious bar menu. The lush Peninsula Grill Courtyard is one of the Charleston's true hidden gems and the most romantic al fresco dining setting in the city. Peninsula Grill also offers private dining. Peninsula Grill is a proud member of Relais & Chateaux, an exclusive collection of restaurants and hotels in romantic destinations around the world. Business casual attire.
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I've dined here on countless occasions, personally and for business. I most recently had dinner here last night (business), and as usual, the service was second to none, very courteous, prompt, and anticipating our desires. As delicious as the food has always been, last night my salmon was too salty. This was an absolute first of having anything not tasting exactly perfect. The others at my table also complained it was too salty, and one of them sent their salmon back. Her new entree was absolutely the best it could be. I still give Peninsula Grill an excellent rating, as I, too, could have sent mine back, but chose not to, as I was one of the hostesses, and everything else was divine. Knowing that she had hers corrected so quickly was enough for me. Their coconut cake has to be the absolute best EVER! The service, atmosphere, and food is always amazing. I'm sure this "excess salt" was just a one off. The great part is, though, if you do experience a less than desirable course, they will quickly and happily make amends. Having dined here easily 50 plus times (I'm local), I am extremely satisfied and look forward to returning!

1  Thank Laine W
Planters_Inn, General Manager at Peninsula Grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you for your continued support of Peninsula Grill through the years. We are proud that after 16 years of service we remain consistent and continue to be the place that Charlestonians and visitors alike choose to dine. Thank you for alerting us to our heavy had with the seasoning of your tables Salmon. While it may seem minor and forgivable it is exactly the information that we need to continue to improve and serve you better. Thank you for the compliments and endorsement. We look forward to your next visit.

Relais & Chateaux

Write a ReviewReviews (2,355)

Reviewed October 29, 2013

My lady Miss Mary & I thoroughly enjoyed dining 10/28/13 at the establishment. We split an appetizer of broiled Scallop & a Yellow fin tuna crake with Asian sauce. Mary loved the blackened shrimp (almost too much to eat) while I chose the blackened Grouper over vegetables which was superb. the atmosphere was Superb, out waiter Ralph extremely attentive & of course the food was outstanding. A little on the pricey side, but nice to see a restaurant where all the patrons were dressed to go out & not just come in wearing shorts. Very classy, try them the next time you are in Charleston.

1  Thank Ray R

Thank you for sharing how special your evening at Peninsula Grill was through this review. Chef Graham Dailey's spectacular food combined with the gracious and professional service of Ralph and the rest of our longstanding service staff has made Peninsula Grill the place to dine in Charleston. We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I had heard so much about this coconut cake that I had to try it. Wow am I glad I did. It was amazing! It definitely lived up to its reputation. The cake was super light and moist with just the right amount of coconut icing in between the layers. The icing had the perfect amount of creaminess without being overly sweet. The toasted coconut garnish added yet another texture and flavor. Kudos to the pastry chef. I will definitely be back for another slice. Next time I might even eat dinner there. I'm sure if it's anything like the cake it will be wonderful.

Peninsula Grill M, General Manager at Peninsula Grill, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to visit Peninsula Grill and try the famous Ultimate Coconut Cake. We are very proud of the success of the cake but still believe that it is best enjoyed after a wonderful meal prepared by Chef Graham Dailey and his staff and served by the best service staff in Charleston. I hope that you are able to enjoy the full experience on your next visit to Charleston.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

This restaurant was connected with The Planter's Inn , where we were staying. This was our last night in Charleston, and I'd been told we'd saved the"best" for last. The food and service were amazing! It was an expensive restaurant but still totally full of diners!!!! All was excellent. Oh, and of course I got their big piece of the famous coconut cake!

Thank you for such a lovely review. Peninsula Grill has been a favorite of visitors to Charleston and locals for years. Our unique combination of cuisine, service and genuine hospitality has earned us the reputation of being the place to dine in Charleston. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We had this meal on last night. it was a very good experience, great service, very good food. Maybe our expectations were to high but inspire of a very good time, it just wasn't as off the charts as I expected - food, ambiance or service. We've had the good fortune to eat at many great establishments and this was one of the better, but not the best. In fact, all of our main meals were pretty even.

Planters_Inn, General Manager at Peninsula Grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Thank you for your visit to Peninsula Grill. Thank you for ranking us along side some of your best meals. We are sorry that we were unable to surpass your high expectations. Our goal with every table is to give them an experience that they will remember next week, next month and on their next visit to Charleston. We look forward to your next visit.