“Exceptional food and service”
Review of Peninsula Grill

Reserve with OpenTable
Peninsula Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 947 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Meeting Street
Description: Located in the very heart of Charleston's famed Historic District, this AAA Four-Diamond restaurant has been recognized by Departures, Conde Nast Traveler, Food & Wine, The New York Times, Southern Living, Travel + Leisure, Wine Spectator, and others for serving the finest and freshest ingredients sourced locally and globally. With velvet-lined walls in shimmering oyster tones, woven seagrass, and indigenous cypress, the Peninsula Grill Dining Room ambiance is supper club sumptuousness. The Peninsula Grill Champagne Bar is an intimate jewel box space that offers several outstanding champagnes by the glass and a delicious bar menu. The lush Peninsula Grill Courtyard is one of the Charleston's true hidden gems and the most romantic al fresco dining setting in the city. Peninsula Grill also offers private dining. Peninsula Grill is a proud member of Relais & Chateaux, an exclusive collection of restaurants and hotels in romantic destinations around the world. Business casual attire.
Reviewed October 27, 2013

What a difference a week makes.. Last week my wife and I dined at The Capital Grille in Philadelphia and had a very bad experience. This weekend we were in Charleston and were reminded about how it "should" be done.. The Peninsula Grille experience truly has to be one of the best dining experiences we ever had. The service, the selection, the food, the atmosphere were all top shelf. We also had one of THE best waiters (Billy) that we had seen in a very long time.. Every one of his suggestions were spot on.. He was very attentive.. I even noticed him being careful not to interrupt conversations with my wife.. Very classy, smart and funny.. A great waiter...
I can't say enough good things about this place.. Southern charm and service at its' absolute finest.

2  Thank Lefty-BassPlayer
Planters_Inn, General Manager at Peninsula Grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

It was our pleasure to have served you this weekend. Thank you for all of your kind words both Saturday night as well as in this review. Billy has been part of our team for more than a decade. He is not alone on our staff in terms of longivity. Our team is composed of professional servers. We take great pride in our service and it makes a good experience great. We look forward to serving you again.

Relais & Chateaux

Write a ReviewReviews (2,312)

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We had dinner here our last night in Charleston to celebrate our anniversary. The lobster soup was very good, salad average and grouper entree a little above average. The grouper was undercooked but our server politely and quickly remedied. The service was quite nice but slowed at the end, so we took dessert with us while waiting for the check. Tables were set up close together in a big room. It was a bit noisy and impersonal. I had such high expectations but was somewhat disappointed. The coconut cake was fine, but I don't think it warrants the rave reviews I've read. Appreciate the effort and service for most of the night, but prefer other restaurants in Charleston.

I am sorry that you were disappointed in your experience at Peninsula Grill. We did not receive the reputation of being the place to dine in Charleston through "a little above average" food and service. Our goal is to have our guest leave the dining room planning their next visit. I am sorry that we fell short of that mark. I hope you allow us the opportunity to impress you on your next visit to Peninsula Grill.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Excellent wine list, menu, wait staff and specials. A lot of tables and loud. Food was prepaired well. My wife had grouper special and I had a veal chop with root vegs.

Thank you for the rave review. Unfortunately Peninsula Grill's popularity and reputation does create a lively dining room. However that excitement is contagious and the cuisine and service is second to none. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your evening so much and look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

My husband and I dined at Peninsula Grill on the reviews I saw on Trip Advisor. The food was excellent (try the lobster) and the ambiance was superb. We were seated outside in the courtyard at a table for four but it was just the two of us. So nice not to feel crowded at a table. We finished our meal by sharing the coconut cake. What a wonderful way to end the dinner! The food, the service, the atmosphere all make it a must while in Charleston.

1  Thank Citrus2013

Thank you for endorsing Peninsula Grill as a "must" in Charleston. It speaks volumes on the quality of your visit. As you mension in your review our courtyard is an excellent place to dine. Our courtyard is an oasis in the heart of Charleston's historic district. Surrounded by gas lit lanterns and our Charleston garden it is hard to imagine a better place to dine. Then you add Chef Dailey's cuisine and the service we have become famous for. Thank you for your review. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

My husband and I had dinner here to celebrate our anniversary and I'm so glad we did. Everything was amazing from the atmosphere to the food. I had the scallops and the coconut cake just sent everything over the top! As other reviews have noted this is a special occasion restaurant. It is very pricy but like they say you get what you pay for. This was definitely the best dining experience of our entire trip!

1  Thank Danie_05

Happy Anniversary! Thank you for sharing your celebrations with us at Peninsula Grill. We are honored that you chose to celebrate withus/ Thank you also for your wonderful review and pictures. We wish you many more happy years and look forward to celebrating with you again.