“Birthday Dinner was heavenly”
Review of Peninsula Grill

Reserve with OpenTable
Peninsula Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 926 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Meeting Street
Description: Located in the very heart of Charleston's famed Historic District, this AAA Four-Diamond restaurant has been recognized by Departures, Conde Nast Traveler, Food & Wine, The New York Times, Southern Living, Travel + Leisure, Wine Spectator, and others for serving the finest and freshest ingredients sourced locally and globally. With velvet-lined walls in shimmering oyster tones, woven seagrass, and indigenous cypress, the Peninsula Grill Dining Room ambiance is supper club sumptuousness. The Peninsula Grill Champagne Bar is an intimate jewel box space that offers several outstanding champagnes by the glass and a delicious bar menu. The lush Peninsula Grill Courtyard is one of the Charleston's true hidden gems and the most romantic al fresco dining setting in the city. Peninsula Grill also offers private dining. Peninsula Grill is a proud member of Relais & Chateaux, an exclusive collection of restaurants and hotels in romantic destinations around the world. Business casual attire.
Charleston, South Carolina
“Birthday Dinner was heavenly”
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Tonight, we went to Pennisula Grill celebrating a birthday, it was heavenly. The ambiance is nice, we had a table in the back of the restaurant inside by the open kitchen line. The service was impeccable. My one note would be for them to widen their specialty cocktail menu. We started the journey with a delightful amuse-bouche, a fried grouper bite with house-made target sauce and spring green. It was the perfect bite, not greasy at all and crispy; the tartar sauce had me scraping it up. Then came the salads, two of us had the iceberg wedge with buttermilk dressing (a nice change since I am not fond of blue cheese) with bacon jerky pieces. It was very good, the dressing was light in texture and a bit soupy but still very appetizing. Then came my favorite part- the entrees. I had the local grilled swordfish accompanied by the most delectable sauce ever, a ginger-lime beurre blanc. It was sinful, I could have licked the plate. One guest with me enjoyed the boneless pork "chop" and commented on how tender and juicy it was. She also noted how perfectly portioned each dish was, and I agree. The gentleman in our party ordered the NY Strip au poivre, I had several bites and it was exquisite as well, very flavorful. His plate was the largest and he ended up not eating the accompanying vegetables. We finished our meal with two desserts: the banana pudding panna cotta and the coconut cake with coconut anglaise and strawberries. They were nice enough to write "Happy Birthday" on one of the plates.
Although Pennisula Grill is expensive it is well worth the trip for a special occasion. I'd say its one if the best meals I've had. I highly recommend it!

1 Thank megcatfan
Peninsula Grill M, General Manager at Peninsula Grill, responded to this review, January 21, 2016
Thank you for choosing Peninsula Grill to celebrate your birthday. We are thrilled that you and your guests enjoyed the experience so much. We appreciate the review and look forward to your next visit.

United States
“Perfect Anniversary”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We ate here for our anniversary and it was absolutely perfect. We literally can't think of anything we would change at this restaurant. We had reservations and were seated immediately. The service and atmosphere were excellent. The waiters make appropriate wine recommendations based on your meal and excellent dosent even begin to describe the fare. This restaurant is perfect for celebrating a special occasion with loved ones or friends. Try the coconut cake dessert!

1 Thank sinukas
Peninsula Grill M, General Manager at Peninsula Grill, responded to this review, October 13, 2016
Thank you for sharing your evening and your experience with us. Peninsula Grill is known for its dedication to cuisine and service. Due to this dedication we are known as the place to dine in Charleston. Thank you for your visit. We look forward to serving you again.

Relais & Chateaux

“A beautiful restaurant with superb service!”
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Our last night in Charleston peaked with a visit to Peninsula. The wait staff was very attentive and provided beautiful descriptions of the dishes and was able to knowledgeably answer our questions. We were very pleased with both the trout dish and one of the specials of the night, and the serviings were generous for such fine dining. This is a beautiful restaurant and we will return!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank R J D
Thank you for such a lovely review. Peninsula Grill has been a favorite of visitors to Charleston and locals for years. Our unique combination of cuisine, service and genuine hospitality has earned us the reputation of being the place to dine in Charleston. We look forward to your next visit.
Memphis, TN
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I had dinner at the Peninsula and it was absolutely wonderful. The ambience was beautiful, the service was outstanding and the duck was absolutely delicious. I enjoyed the coconut cake, which I thought was good, but not what I would consider extraordinary. I'm looking forward to returning!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank truly77
Thank you for the great review. Peninsula Grill is the perfect place to celebrate a birthday, an anniversary, a promotion, graduation, and all of life's little moments. We offer an experience that is not matched in Charleston. Our cuisine, service and genuine hospitality all combine to form the best dining experience in Charleston.

Toronto, ON
“A Birthday Celebration”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

With being in South Carolina for my birthday, my wife asked me where I wanted to have my birthday dinner and I chosed the Peninsula Grill without hesitation. We had a memoriable meal there the last time that we were in Charleston and always looked forward to going back. We were not disappointed as the food and service were as excellent as we had remembered with not a false note from the moment we arrived to when we left. I had the veal chop and my wife had the grouper which we both enjoyed. While expensive, it is worth the splruge for that special dinner out. While I am not a big coconut fan, we had to try their famous coconut cake. It was very good and that's coming from someone who doesn't like coconut. I was happy that we spent my birthday there and look forward to returning there the next time we're in Charleston.

1 Thank TimandCarol

Thank you for visiting us for your Birthday Celebration. We appreciate all of your compliments and agree that Peninsula Grill and the Planters Inn do standout in Charleston and that they are special places. We hope that you visit us again when next in Charleston.