“Another restaurant week favorite.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Peninsula Grill

Reserve with OpenTable
Peninsula Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 898 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Meeting Street
Description: Located in the very heart of Charleston's famed Historic District, this AAA Four-Diamond restaurant has been recognized by Departures, Conde Nast Traveler, Food & Wine, The New York Times, Southern Living, Travel + Leisure, Wine Spectator, and others for serving the finest and freshest ingredients sourced locally and globally. With velvet-lined walls in shimmering oyster tones, woven seagrass, and indigenous cypress, the Peninsula Grill Dining Room ambiance is supper club sumptuousness. The Peninsula Grill Champagne Bar is an intimate jewel box space that offers several outstanding champagnes by the glass and a delicious bar menu. The lush Peninsula Grill Courtyard is one of the Charleston's true hidden gems and the most romantic al fresco dining setting in the city. Peninsula Grill also offers private dining. Peninsula Grill is a proud member of Relais & Chateaux, an exclusive collection of restaurants and hotels in romantic destinations around the world. Business casual attire.
Charleston, South Carolina
“Another restaurant week favorite.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

The food was great. I tried the seafood trio, and my girlfriend had the braised short rib. I must say the rib was a better choice. The only drawback was that the restaurant was a little noisy for such a nice place

Planters_Inn, General Manager at Peninsula Grill, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for joining us for Charleston's Restaurant Week. We are participating for our third time so we are relatively new to this still. One thing that has completely made us take a step back is the overwhelming number of requests we have received for reservations. It is wonderful for everyone at Peninsula Grill to have the support of Charleston.

Bluffton, South Carolina
“Great people, good food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

First stop restaurant week. Triple soup was great, triple oysters great, banana panna cotta was wonderfully divine. Room temp butter and warm bread gets me every time. Superb service makes me want to come back.

• Visited January 2013
Thank you for making Peninsula Grill your "First Stop" for Restaurant Week. We are very fortunate to be many of our guests "First". First choice to celebrate. First choice to entertain guests. First choice for a meal with clients. It is due to our constancy in cuisine and service that we are Charleston's first choice to dine. We look forward to your return.

Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
“Wonderful food; noisy atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Went with my husband for dinner during Restaurant Week. Enjoyed the meal - the soup trio was delicious and my husband' s salad good also. We both had the short ribs which were excellent with a wonderful sauce, and the chocolate bread pudding very good as well. The service was excellent . However, looking at the mostly $35 to $45 prices for entrees on the regular menu, I would reserve this place for a special occasion only. I just think those prices are excessive in a town where you can get equal quality for a somewhat lesser price. Also, the restaurant consists of one boxy room which is extremely noisy when full. There is a lovely outdoor courtyard which would be quieter. UnlessI could sit out there, I would choose Circa 1886 for a special meal instead.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank maapar
Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review of your experience dining at Peninsula Grill. After 15 years of serving Charleston and guests to our city it amazes me that we are still the place to dine in Charleston. It is due to our overwhelming popularity that there is a noticeable excitement and liveliness in our dining room. Our continued commitment to providing only the best cuisine sourced locally and from around the globe combined with our passionate and longstanding service staff has given our guests a reason to return. We look forward to serving you again.

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
“Doesn't get any better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

I was more excited about spending New Year's Eve 2013 here than my husband. Right up until I took him to the bar at 5 the day before. The bartender was lovely, she allowed us to look in the dining room.. (Fixed a great cocktail) Told us what we might expect for the next night. (Which only added to our excitement). We had a reserve for the 9:30 seating. We arrived in dress clothes de hubs wore a suit me festive work clothes. It was not required but out if respect for a lovely place why not! Great seat inside right for two. Our hostess was correct we had perfect spot for people watching but yet quiet. Our server Eric was fanastic. It says a lot for management that he has been with them 13 years. Great help with the menu and encouraged us to try different things. We wanted a special wine for the night..could Eric recommend one? Boy did he.. The sommelier (he deserves me remembering his name... But I do not) brought a Boudreaux. (Not my fav).. But wait after a time and with Eric's teachings and how it matured and tasted with our steaks.. I was thrilled with the selection. And to take time to teach me on such a busy night! Every course we had 5.. Was a gem. A culinary extravaganza of flavors, textures and aromas. My taste buds were dancing I know they were. Eric brought me a cookbook from the restaurant to view. "Peninsula grill -served with style" And thankfully a tissue because I think I was tearing up at the whole experience. I love cookbooks.. But really want to use them and living in ky they are of no use if you can't readily get the ingredients.. A quick scan.. And yes..most we could. We are 11 days back from our trip and two recipes in.. A good surprise from my husband to allow me to remember the night. The chef- Graham Dailey and his team continue remind me of this incredible night. Great instructions and a historical and current read to boot. The chef signed my cookbook as did Eric. Thank you. Finally if upon review you think pennisula grill might be stuffy or over rated you are wrong. A beautiful decor steeped in charleston history doesn't equate to stuffy. Knowledgable, kind and fun staff contribute to the experience. Food that you think of days later the memory. And if this isn't enough.. Yes we Congo lined through the kitchen and thanked the staff..who thou weary seemed as pleased with the night as all the guests were! Enjoy fellow travelers..beyond bucket list worthy.

3 Thank bobkatky
Thank you for such a bold recommendation. We are thrilled that you enjoyed New Year's Eve so much and celebrated with us. We really enjoy New Year's Eve. We depart from our dinner menu only once a year. Chef Graham Dailey creates a luxurious menu and Pastry Chef Claire Chapman develops new sweets (save the Coconut Cake, we would be over-run if we didn't offer it.) We ring in the new year with a Champagne toast. What a great way to start the year. We look forward to serving you again.

Tampa
“FABULOUS!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

We went to Peninsula Grill last week, and all I can say is WOW! The menu is innovative, fresh and unique. We loved it! Service was wonderful and the wine list to die for. As a self proclaimed foodie, I can whole heartedly recommend this restaurant for those who enjoy a truly unique, top of the line dining experience.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank sunnyFLgirl81
Thank you for dinning with us at Peninsula Grill and thank you for the review. We are thrilled that your experience was "Fabulous". Our success is due to the amazing professionals that cook and serve Chef Graham Dailey's cuisine. Many of our service staff has reached ten years of service at Peninsula Grill and the remainder are on their way. Our passion for food and service are evident and has made Peninsula Grill the place to dine in Charleston. We look forward to a return visit.