“Excellent Choice”
Review of Anson Restaurant

Anson Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Anson Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Smithfield
“Excellent Choice”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

On a recent visit to Charleston, my wife and I had an opportunity to dine at Anson. This was a memorable dining experience, both in terms of the chef's offerings and the restaurant's service. I had the crispy whole flounder with apricot sauce and my wife had seared scallops. These were paired with an excellent wine. The food was on par with best that we have had served in any restaurant. In addition to its historic charm, Charleston is becoming noteworthy for the excellence of its cuisine and Anson is emblematic of the best restaurants it has to offer.

• Visited July 2013

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“My favorite restaurant in Charleston”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The food was outstanding and my wife and I agree that Anson's shrimp and grits were the food highlight of our trip. All of the food was delicious including the desserts (I recommend the key lime pie). Service was top notch too!

Visited August 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“OUT OF THIS WORLD GOOD!!”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I was amazed at the food at Anson's...it was OUT. OF. THIS. WORLD. I'm very picky and find it hard to be impressed by food. I WAS IMPRESSED. I took my mom there for her birthday and was not disappointed. I ordered their special (Tilefish) but didn't want the sides that came with it, and they were helpful in making the switch for me without complaints. The Tilefish was pan-seared with a light crust on the outside and the fish was buttery and moist. The sides were sauteed squash, zucchini and potatoes with a pesto puree...AMAZING!! Then for dessert they provided my mom with home made vanilla bean ice cream. One of the best ice creams I've ever had!! Can't wait to go back.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Lindsy M
Aiken
“Get the she crab soup”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We were really tired when we stumbled through the door of Anson's. We wanted healthful food and good food, and it looked like Anson's might fit the bill. In addition, we wanted healthful food for the vegetarian in the group. Very attentive waiter, so that was appreciated. He provided his favorites and we selected quite a few of them. The golden beet salad, the caesar salad with fried oysters and the fried green tomatoes were good, maybe very good. But the She Crab Soup and the collard greens were Delish!! I could eat the soup EVERYDAY!!! The only let down were the grits-I make better, but really I shouldn't have ordered them anyway. We will go back. It was so nice to escape from the street noise and relax in a quality restaurant.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank LStravels0407
Fort Myers, Florida
“Elegant southern dining”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Great food, excellent, knowledgeable service. I had an appetizer special that was grilled octopus. It was delicious. The garnish was pea sprouts. Had not tasted before & loved them. Wish I knew where to find them. 2 of us ordered the Duck Confit as our entree. It was excellent. Served with a sweet potato cream & farro. The farro was a special treat since I normally never eat grains. It was worth it! My only disappointment was that they didn't have espresso & I couldn't find a dessert that I thought was high value to try. Would definitely recommend the restaurant.

• Visited July 2013