“Very enjoyable dining.”
Review of Anson Restaurant

Anson Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Anson Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 936 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Really good seafood selections, Great wines and good ambience.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

We decided to go to Anson at the last minute, and felt we were under-dressed. We asked the maitre-d' if we were too casual, and he couldn't have been nicer. He made us feel welcome in our jeans and tourist attire.

My husband wasn't thrilled with his choices, since he wanted a salad, and they only had a few. I, OTOH, knew I wanted a steak, and found the perfect filet mignon. Carmelized on the outside, tender and juicy in the middle. Cooked to perfection the way I requested with creamy mashed potatoes and gorgeous green beans. I all but licked the plate.

I think the menu was a little small, but everything looked wonderful - it's just that there weren't very many choices in each category. The Anson is well-located and easy to reach. It happened to be a block or so from our hotel, so that made it better.

I recommend it for a nice meal. It's noisy-ish, but it was still romantic.

Reviewed December 27, 2011

We were staying in a local hotel and ate here on Christmas day (evening) - 8:15pm reservations. My wife really wanted to have a traditional turkey dinner with all the "fixins" and we chose Anson because they offered it on a three course holiday menu. Things stated off on a bad note when my wife was told they had run out of the turkey…..talk about a Christmas downer. Of all the things to run out of on a holiday menu, the turkey should have been the last one to come up short on. In fact, they ran out of a couple of entrees and a least three of the first course items as well. With that said, they do get points for being accommodating by allowing her to substitute a filet for the actual turkey while still getting all the “fixins” that came with the turkey dinner. Yes, is a strange combo, but she was really in the mood for that traditional taste. For the first course, we ordered the shrimp and grits and the oysters on the half shell with tuna tartare, pickled ginger mignonette, and fried scallions. The oysters looked great, but were tasteless and bland; a bit disappointing. The shrimp and grits came with two very small “bits” of shrimp, were way too soupy, and the overall taste was overpowered by a strong tomato taste. The worst I have ever had in Charleston. As to the entrée course, it was all okay but everything seemed a bit “old and cold” including the bread which was too hard and crusty. Noting seemed very fresh and the portion sizes were very very small. Some of the smallest I have seen, especially my pork shank dinner. For the third course, we each had the pumpkin & candied pecan pie with marshmallow Fluff and bourbon caramel. It was a unique taste combo and we both enjoyed it. It was the first time that night where the portion size came as expected. My wife had iced tea and I opted for a couple of the locally brewed IPAs which I enjoyed more than the meal. The service was okay, with both positive and negative highlights. On the one hand, they did accommodate my wife’s request for a substitution which was nice, but on the other hand I had to remind our waiter a number of times about drink refills and we never got the second basket of bread we asked for when the entrees were delivered. I was eventually told (after I had finished my 4 bite entrée) that they were baking more, but it felt more like an excuse or even a lie. I didn’t buy it, but just let it go. Bottom line - we were very unimpressed and underwhelmed with our experience. The food was so-so, the service was so-so and the portions were tiny. The total bill after tip and tax was in the $160 or $170 range and quite frankly it was a waste of money. Not exactly the holiday treat we were hoping for.

1  Thank Greg R
Reviewed December 21, 2011

My wife and I celebrated our 19th anniversary at Anson and absolutely loved it. My wife had the barbecue catfish, and I had NY strip. Both entrees were completed to perfection. The she-crab soup was wonderful. When I made the reservation, I mentioned that it was our anniversary, and the waiter prepared a special anniversary dessert treat for us. It was a very memorable occasion, and I highly recommend the restaurant.

Reviewed December 13, 2011

With all the great restaurants we have in Charleston, we always seem to wind up here every month or so. We have never been disappointed, from soup to nuts. The seasonal menu always has something for everyone, and the wait staff is always knowledgeable and friendly.