“Consistently good on each trip”
Review of Hominy Grill

Hominy Grill
Ranked #41 of 939 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed April 3, 2014

This was our fifth visit in ten years and it did not disappoint. The food and service here is consistently outstanding. We look forward to visiting Charleston just so we can stop at this restaurant.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,053)

Reviewed April 3, 2014

We went for lunch on our day of arrival since it was around the corner from the house we rented. Very little parking. Arrived just before 11:00 hoping for breakfast but missed it by a few minutes because we had to wait about 20 minutes for a table. This was on a Thursday. We ended up ordering lunch. I ordered the Charleston Nasty Biscuit - fried chicken on a biscuit with sausage gravy. The chicken was so dry I couldn't finish it. The sausage gravy had very little sausage and had green and red bell peppers in it. Had I known about the peppers, I would not have ordered it. I have never had peppers in sausage gravy so didn't even think to ask. One of my friends had the Fried Green Tomato BLT--the tomato was mushy and there was very little bacon. Two other friends shared the shrimp and grits and said they were good. We were going to have dessert but were so disappointed in the lunch we left and got dessert at Sugar bakery down the street.

1  Thank Patty W
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We looked for options to sample good southern cooking and this hit the spot. We knew we were in for a treat when we showed up off season and there was a line outside waiting for a table. Food was great and the desserts even better. Try the buttermilk pie!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

On our way to Savannah we stopped in here for lunch. The wait was average for a beautiful Charleston Friday at noon. There is a window for access to the bar while you wait. Once inside, we had a hard time ordering because there was so much to choose from! I loved how they had a list of small apps you could combine with cornbread. We tried the Mac & Cheese, collards, fried grits and potato salad, a nice tasting of each was perfect. Then I ordered the 2 piece fried chicken and my friend ordered the Fried Green Tomatoes. I'm not usually a big friend chicken person, but I think this might have been the best I've had! This might sound strange, but the chicken was so white; so the perfect combo of a bright, white, juicy chicken with this almost sweet, crunchy batter: just fantastic! I would definitely go back!!

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We loved our brunch. Be there early as possible or expect a wait as this is a very popular spot. The brunch menu is unique to Hominy Grill and is a tad pricey but worth the treat!