“So Glad I Went Back!”
Review of Hominy Grill

Hominy Grill
Ranked #34 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Charleston, South Carolina
“So Glad I Went Back!”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I had visited Hominy Grill back in November 2013 for a late dinner and was not satisfied with the service or food. However, I went back for brunch recently and had a really good meal. For brunch on a Saturday, I felt they were overstaffed because there was rarely a moment that a person on the staff was not in your face or within 3 feet of you for whatever reason. It wasn't too big of a deal, but was slightly annoying. Anyway, the food was really good. My boyfriend devoured his meal and I enjoyed mine. We both got the Big Nasty biscuit. I prefer my biscuits to be soft, but they go for the harder, scone-like biscuits. I also didn't notice a lot of cheese on it, but that's okay. The best part of my meal which will have me going back for it is the carrot cake!!!! It was the best I have ever had. It was extremely moist and packed full of flavor. The best part was that it had no pecans/walnuts in it which was awesome.

Brevard, North Carolina
“Great home style southern cooking in a quirky place”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Seldom does one find good home style southern cooking with some great seafood entries, but the Hominy Grill fits the bill. It's a quirky style place nestled in a mixed residential and commercial part of historic Charleston. Although almost filled to capacity the service was excellent and the food arrived promptly. Travis, our waiter, was very attentive and personable and was great at describing some of the local fish with which I was not familiar and took the time to answer some of our questions about the area. There's a good selection of vegetables to choose from and are traditional southern vegetables but probably cooked in a more healthy way and not overcooked as southern vegetables can be at times. The fish entrees are less traditional but are excellent. Any place whose logo is "Grits are good for you!" has to be a good place.

New York City, New York
“Not my favorite”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I personally didn't love my meal here, although my three friends did enjoy theirs. I got the She-Crab soup, which wasn't thick enough in my opinion. For my entree I got the sauteed chicken livers and the sweet potatoes and stewed okra sides. The chicken livers were average. The sweet potatoes were delish (who can go wrong with sweet potatoes), but I didn't like how the okra was prepared. My friends and I split the brownie for dessert, which was decent.

Two of my friends got the fried catfish, which they enjoyed a lot.

One miss was the peanuts that they served as a complimentary starter. None of us liked them. Yuck!

• Visited May 2013
North Carolina
“Good Shrimp and Grits”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We saw a review of this place on one of the Food Channels on TV. It was very good and I loved the Shrimp and Grits. They were very different from others I have tried. If you are really hungry, the servings are small and a little pricey. The place was full of people with a wait list so that shows it was a good place to eat.

orlando florida
“Great Find in Charleston”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I hosted a group of eight for dinner and we had a great time. So many good choices. Shrimp and Grits hit the spot as did the shrimp and crab beniegts (sp?). Many different dishes were ordered and all were enjoyed. Sides and desserts were excellent as well.

Visited January 2014