“Our dinner was awesome!”
Review of Hominy Grill

Hominy Grill
Ranked #37 of 932 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Our waiter was so professional, helpful and provided wonderful service. The food was very fresh, flavorful, and quite delicious. I had the shrimp and grits and my husband had the country captain, both were amazing. The various drink selection was a nice touch with dinner. The chocolate soufflé was so moist and head spinningly delicious!! Loved the old style decor so comfortable and warm; I felt like I was at my grandma's house. We'll be telling others about this local favorite.

There are newer reviews for Hominy Grill

Reviewed October 8, 2012

It's not often you can return to a place after many years, and still find it, much less e as good as one remembered! But that's exactly what happened! Unfortunately, Hominy Grill is no longer a local hideaway, so expect long waits. We arrived for Sunday brunch at 11 (no reservations for lunch or brunch) and waited an hour. Fortunately they have a bar from which you can fortify yourself during the wait with $8 cocktails, or free water! For a first available table, ask to be seated at a communal table and if you are lucky, you will have a nice chat with some locals. The signature shrimp and grits is still a winner! The fried green tomatoes a local favorite, but I find the southern version has a bit too much cornmeal to my liking (a personal preference only and no reflection on this local fav!). The sweet potato pancakes were interesting, with a healthy dose of cornmeal for variety, but I swear I could not find any sweet potato! The ambience was simple and basic, very inviting, and on a hot day, the inside air conditioning would be preferred to the shady courtyard dining. It's a must on the Charleston circuit, but I'm not sure I would wait an hour for another visit.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Went for an early dinner. Didn't have to wait for a table. The big nasty chicken biscuit was very good. The pulled pork shoulder had too much of a vinegar taste, was a very small portion, and the ginger coleslaw was not to our taste. Coffee was not good and not hot. I spilled the creamer and no one offered to help clean it or bring extra napkins. Waiter did not offer to refill the iced tea. Had to ask 3 times for a straw.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

The recent expansion has changed the intimate clamor. It has clearly become a tourist highlight but locals still frequent Hominy Grill. I always expect a little less and always get a little more. Food quality and preparation are top notch. Don't expect modern creativity; expect old southern classics with the best vegetables in Charleston. Perfectly prepared fish is a highlight. Their Shrimp and Grits are great. After an extensive tasting of Fried Green Tomatoes at many Charleston establishments, Hominy's are number one in my book. Don't expect massive portions but that works in your favor. Their desserts are wonderful. Chess Pie is unique and the Chocolate Pudding is incredible (cakes aren't shabby either). My favorite meal there is dinner. Don't miss Hominy Grill.

1  Thank Stephen B
Reviewed October 5, 2012

With so many restaurants from which to choose, Hominy Grill was a winner. The transformed old barbershop was the perfect ambiance for my wife. The menu was old-fashioned diner food from the south but kicked up a couple of notches. Prices were more affordable than many high profile Charleston restaurants, and we could easily find street parking for free.