“Great local place”

Hank's Seafood Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Hank's Seafood Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 933 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Church
Description: Located one block from the Charleston City Market in the heart of the Historic District, Hank's Seafood Restaurant has been Voted Best Seafood Restaurant in Charleston for 16 consecutive years. Hank's Seafood is housed in a beautifully restored 100-year-old warehouse and serves the best and freshest seafood with an emphasis on local recipes. The lively community table is very popular with solo travelers.
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I stayed at the Doubletree which is right next door and since it doesn't have a restaurant I walked over to Hanks...I really glad I did. Since I was alone, I sat at the bar and reviewed their menu. Firstly, the drinks are a very generous pour which was great since I wasn't driving. After careful review I chose the Shellfish Cocktail with Lobster, Shrimp and Lump Crabmeat for a starter and the Curry Shrimp for a main course. The starter was great with a large amount of shellfish, an the Curry Shrimp was fantastic (go figure, curry in a restaurant like this). The bar service was fast and professional. There are only two things that some may object to. First, this place is noisy so it isn't a place were I would take someone for an intimate diner, but frankly that doesn't bother me. A noisy place to me indicates that the food is good and people are enjoying themselves. Also...there is no TV at the bar, but I can understand that since it would only contribute to the noise.

hanksseafood, General Manager at Hank's Seafood Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Wonderful! We truly appreciate your stellar review. The Staff truly enjoyed serving you, and we are delighted that you enjoyed everything. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you in the future. Thank you!

There are newer reviews for Hank's Seafood Restaurant

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Hank’s was a very nice surprise and we had a great meal. Not sure why, but I was expecting a casual place and Hank’s is not that. It is a very nice restaurant. We were here during Restaurant Week and the place was packed. We waited at the nice bar while they got our table ready. Our server was very good and very knowledgeable. My wife and I decided to order off the 3 course Restaurant Week menu; a mistake due to the large amount of food. For starters, I had a half-dozen fresh oysters which were very fresh and delicious; not too briny. My wife had the She-Crab soup and it was delicious. I decided to try one of the fried platters (flounder, shrimp and oysters) and it was very good; lightly dusted and fried to perfection. My wife had the swordfish and it was one of the best fish I have tried at a restaurant. For dessert we split a lemon cheesecake (took the other one home) and it was good. The food was delicious but Hank’s tables are a little too close together so it was hard to have a conversation. When we come back, we may try Hank’s again; the food was very good.

Thank you very much for your feedback! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your meal. When you return, we would be happy to put you in a more private spot in the restaurant, just please let us know. We will do anything we can to make sure all of our guests have a great experience. Thank you again!

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Hank's is a wonderful seafood restaurant, the ambience is fantastic and the food delicious. Would not hesitate to go there again. Great experience for our last night in Charleston.

Wonderful! We are truly delighted that you enjoyed your last evening in Charleston with us! Thank you for your kind words, and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

We were excited to finally try Hanks after many years of visiting Charleston. With so many wonderful restaurants in the city we thought for sure this would be another to add to our favorites.
Unfortunately neither one of our meals were what we expected. Even our appetizers were just fair. I could see one of our meals perhaps not being what we expected but both meals? The food was lacking full flavor, everything tasted "bland". I wanted to have the first bite with the "wow" factor but sadly did not. After spending $160 for dinner we were disappointed Hanks did not leave us with the experience we had hoped for.
Will we return again? Perhaps, but at a much later time. There are other restaurants we will try before hand. I hope your experience will be better than ours.

1  Thank 70sgirl

We truly appreciate your feedback, and thank you for coming to dine with us. We are disappointed to hear that you did not find your experience to be truly extraordinary, since we strive to give a truly exceptional experience to our guests. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you when you return, and we will gladly make it happen. Thank you!

Reviewed January 17, 2014

We ate here during Restaurant week and had a very good meal. The food is all very fresh and simply prepared. The ambiance is that of a traditional seafood house with lots of wood panelling and a community table near the bar. It is a bit noisy but not overwhelmingly so. The service was good but we did feel a bit rushed. We had 3 courses served in a little over a hour so not a place you go to for a leisurely, relaxed dinner. We had the fried calamari and shrimp appetizer which was lightly coated and delicious and served with a wonderful remoulade. It is large enough to share.Then I had the swordfish with okra and spinach, very simply grilled and very well cooked. My husband had the pasta with shellfish done in a scampi type of sauce. Dessert was a very light tiramisu and a cookie mudslide, both reasonable portions and good. Definitely would go back but only if we want a quick dinner.

1  Thank maapar

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your evening was. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed everything, and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.