“Lots of fun!”

Charleston Steeplechase Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Charleston Steeplechase Tours offers running tours of Historic Charleston, SC. Tours originate from Downtown Charleston's Marion Square. Each tour lasts 90 minutes, covers approximately 3.5 miles of the historic district, and includes 10-12 stops at pertinent landmarks along the way. More scenic than a carriage tour, more intimate than a bus tour, and covering more ground than a walking tour.
Ottawa, Canada
“Lots of fun!”
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Great way to burn the calories from all yummy southern food while learning about the history of the city. Shawn was super friendly and informative and clearly loves his home town. We were lucky enough to pick a beautiful quiet morning and got the chance to see Charleston slowly come to life. I would recommend this tour to all levels of runners. Thanks again Shawn!

Visited May 2014

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome alternative to the usual touristy tours”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I'm not a huge fan of bus tours, and was looking for something active to do, so I was really excited to find Steeplechase! We signed up for a Sunday morning tour, which was perfect - not too hot yet in the day, and got to see the city wake up as we progressed through the tour. As a runner, I loved going down side streets that the usual tours don't include and also the ability to stop anywhere on the tour to check out some history but then take off again at our own pace. We had a great time with our guide, Matt, a local teacher and experienced tour guide. He was extremely knowledgeable, and we definitely learned some new facts about Charleston that the bus tours don't include in their scripts.

Another unique part of our tour was running pass people Matt knew - it felt, at least for the 1.5 hours of the tour, that we were hanging out with a local and getting a glimpse into everyday life in the city rather than constantly staring at it in a fishbowl.

Hands down one of the best city tours I've done!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Jane S
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A workout and history lesson all-in-one!!”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We signed up for this tour because we were looking for an activity that balanced our affinity for the history of Charleston and our desire to get some exercise during our vacation. Our guide, Sean(Shawn?) provided exactly that! We highly recommend this experience! It's unique, never the same twice and flexible for all activity levels (power walking to a brisk jog) Definitely make this part of your next visit to Charleston!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank hayleydennison
Brooklyn, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Really Great, Fun way to experience Charleston”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Was intrigued by this when I saw it on the web, and after all the delicious, yet rich, foods I'd been eating in and around the Southeast, decided that I needed to mix my exploration with a workout. Shaun was great, extremely knowledgeable about the history of Charleston and gave great suggestions of follow-up places to explore. I particularly appreciated this because it's always difficult to know what to do in a new place, and I, for one, hate getting stuck in boring tourist traps. The tour was paced with a number of stops, but I worked up a sweat. My only recommendation would be to choose a better (or include) a landmark along with the address for the initial meet up - my gps didn't take me far enough. This was hands down the best city tour I've ever taken and a really fun way to see Charleston!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Andre S
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great way to start the day”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Highly recommend this tour. Our guide, Shaun, a SC native and history major, was very knowledgeable and answered tons of questions. We took along our 10 year old son, who Shaun said was the youngest person ever to do the run. Lots of stops made it easy for him to keep up. You may want to take a bottle of water with you if it is warm. Overall, a great intro to the city!

Visited September 2013