“A Perfect Morning in a Great City!”

Charleston Steeplechase Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Charleston Steeplechase Tours offers running tours of Historic Charleston, SC. Tours originate from Downtown Charleston's Marion Square. Each tour lasts 90 minutes, covers approximately 3.5 miles of the historic district, and includes 10-12 stops at pertinent landmarks along the way. More scenic than a carriage tour, more intimate than a bus tour, and covering more ground than a walking tour.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I can think of no better way to begin a trip to such a great city. There is no better city to run in than Charleston and there is no more historic American city than Charleston. So it just made sense to take a running tour, and the decision didn't disappoint! The guides were incredibly knowledgeable, witty and entertaining, revealing so many interesting and insightful observations of the bygone time. The beautiful scenery made the time fly, as did looking forward each historic stopping point. As a former resident of Charleston for more than six years, I believe there's no better way to get acquainted with a truly great American city!

All reviews
in 29 reviews
"knowledge"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

As a Charleston native, I thought I knew it all. I have been on boat tours, bus tours, carriage tours, and walking tours lead by guides dressed as pirates, ghosts, colonial and civil war soldiers, but this tour, lead by runners, was the best tour yet. I am not a marathon runner, but a runner of 5K and 10K races. When I read that this running tour of the city was for runners of any level, I had my doubts. Does that mean I will be lead by Kenyans who would leave me in the dust, because I may not live up to their definition of a "runner"? Or will it be lead by those who would go so slow it might as well be a walking tour like all the others around here. I was pleasantly surprised with the answer I got.

Guides Shaun and Matthew were our running group's bookends. No runner left behind. One ran in front to lead us while the other made sure no one passed out along the way. I wasn't sure how the tour would be conducted. Would we run a block at a time and stop for them to speak at each and every street corner? Or would they yell out historical facts as we passed by what we were seeing? Neither happened. We would usually run for 2-3 blocks and then stop as Shaun and Matthew took turns telling us about where the remnants of the wall that once protected this city stood, or where Charleston's own tea party's tea was hidden in order to sell it to help with the war effort for America's independence rather than toss it in the harbor as a loss to all.

The running tour itself benefits good health, but also tells tales that couldn't be told on those other tours because of it's route. Many of the streets we ran on were too narrow for buses or didn't allow the horse carriages to travel on them. And running the route instead of walking it allowed us to cover so much more ground than any walking tour ever could. Being a native of Charleston and taking many tours on field trips downtown in school, I still heard things and saw things I never even knew about before. If anyone is looking to get exercise while they are here on vacation, and see and be educated about our historic city at the same time, I see no better way than to take a Charleston Steeplechase Tour. With all the great food there is to eat here, the exercise will do you good.

1  Thank MacMan777
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have been on many tours here in Charleston, but this one was one of the best, as well as fun. Guys are laid back and have a great grasp of the history of Charleston. 3.5 miles seems like long, but the stops are spaced well enough so that it's not overwhelming!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Let me just start out this review by saying that I am not a runner. I run for exercise sporadically (if I can get it together, maybe once or twice a week for a mile or two) in order to be in shape for soccer. That being said, I was not only able to do this running tour, but I ENJOYED this running tour. Even if you aren't an avid runner, the tour is set up to have frequent stops to give you a break so most people who do moderate exercise can keep up. The information on the tour makes the history of the city fresh and interesting (coming from a person who doesn't particularly like history). The tour takes about an hour and a half and you see many beautiful churches, the battery, historical houses and buildings and learn interesting facts that you may not have known (even if you have lived in Charleston for 10 years)! I would definitely recommend the Charleston Steeplechase tours to anyone interested in seeing Charleston in a different (and active) way.